PAUL R. BREISCH, 78, a well-known model engine
builder, died June 10, 1993 in Pottstown, Pennsylvania. He
graduated from the Pennsylvania State University in 1937the last
mechanical engineering class at that school to be taught about
Paul began at an early age making model gas and steam engines.
As others were attracted to the fine engines, he turned his hobby
into a business. He sold kits to build nine different model engines
throughout the U.S. and several foreign countries. The business was
active up until the time of his death, but is now being sold and so
the Breisch kits will continue to be available.
Paul was a member of several gas engine associations. He was
always glad to take the time to talk to other engine enthusiasts
who would seek him out to ask his advice.
Paul is survived by his wife, Dorothy, two sons, one daughter,
and five grandchildren.
Submitted by Janet Paul, R. D. 1, Box 557, Parkesburg,
HARRY E. WARREN, 99, of Parma, Idaho, died May
2, 1993 after a long illness.
He was born April 4, 1894 in Larra-bee, Iowa. He was a farmer
all his life until his retirement.
He had ‘wheels in his head’ even as a young boy and
built a small tractor using a Cushman engine about 1910. Harry was
a mechanic and trouble shooter for his neighbors for many years,
helping them with their mechanical problems. He also built crystal
radios in the early days of radio. His mind was bright and clear up
to the last, and he looked forward to each issue of GEM.
He built another small tractor using a Novo engine when he was
73 years old. This tractor, enjoyed by grandchildren and
great-grandchildren as well as neighbor kids, is still in good
Harry was also a writer. He wrote a biography of himself and his
family when he was 74 years old. He also wrote many poems, and had
written articles for GEM in the past.
His interest was always in agriculture, watching his son’s
operation and that of neighbors up to the last months of his
He was preceded in death by his wife, Olga, in 1986. He is
survived by his son Wayne and daughters Edith and Eleanor.
Submitted by Wayne A. Warren, 27876 Gotsch Rd., Parma, Idaho
CLAROLD (CAP) JAVERS, 65, of Lennox, South
Dakota, died November 14, 1992 of a heart attack. His wife,
ARLA JAVERS, 62, preceded him in death July 29,
1992 also from an apparent heart attack.
They were both active members of Germantown Presbyterian Church
of rural Chancellor, South Dakota.
Clarold was a charter member of the Southeastern South Dakota
Threshermens’ Association. He helped organize this group in
1984holding the first threshing show on their farm just west of
Lennox. Aria was also very active in the threshing group. They were
avid collectors of antique engines and tractors. They also
participated in many parades in the area.
Cap and Arla enjoyed giving rides on their homemade
merry-go-round to many children in the Lennox area. The Javers
enjoyed having friends from near and far stop at their farm to
visit and see their collection of antiques.
Grateful for having shared their lives are their son, Doug
Javers, and his wife, Bev; their daughter Barbara Stormo, and her
husband Mike; and grandchildren Kayla and Jarrod Stormo.
They will be greatly missed by their family, friends, fellow
collectors and the members of the SESD Threshermens’
Submitted by Steve and Luann Hoogesvraat, 1001 S. Academy,
Box573, Lennox, South Dakota 57039.
MAX F. HOMFELD died April 21, 1993, at his home
in St. Michaels, Maryland. He was 71.
In 1942 he graduated from Purdue University with a degree in
His entire working career was devoted to General Motors
Corporation. During WWII, he participated in tests on various
military vehicles. After the war he designed and tested engines and
engine components. He pioneered work on emission control and the
DOVE (variable orifice) carburetor.
For 35 years he was a member of the Society of Automotive
Engineers, where he worked on standardizing engine parts throughout
the automotive industry.
After his retirement in 1976, he and his wife, Nancy, settled in
St. Michaels, where he was a past commodore of the Cruising Sailors
of St. Michaels.
Max recognized the need to restore the extensive antique marine
engine collection of the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. He
organized a group called ‘The Dirty Dozen’ to accomplish
this task. Their remarkable results are now on display in the new
Steamboat Building. This new exhibit, probably the best exhibition
of turn-of-the-century small boat ‘one lungers’ anywhere in
the country, is a wonderful tribute to Max and his co-workers.
Max was a tireless researcher who made a great effort to
separate fact from fiction. His numerous articles in Gas Engine
Magazine will be sorely missed, not only for their timely subjects,
but also for their accuracy.
For the antique marine engine collector two of his publications
are exceptional for their usefulness and lasting importance: one is
a pamphlet that compiles a list of the various engine models and
their years of production at Palmer Bros., Cos Cob, Connecticut;
the other is a list of marine engine manufacturers.
Max will always be remembered by those who met him as a warm and
friendly gentleman. He had a lifelong commitment to help others. We
shall miss him.
Submitted by Richard A. Day, Jr., Rt. 2, Box 44, Leonardtown,
FRANK HODGES, ‘Mr. Frank’ as he was
known to many, passed away on June 29, at the age of 85. He was a
charter member of the Carolina Fly-wheelers Engine Club.
He is survived by his wife, Ora; three sons, Mack, Kyle and John
Ray; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
Mr. Frank made his own way in life, providing for his family by
farming and selling produce during the Depression. He was also a
retired carpenter, having built houses and, later in life, operated
Hodges Cabinet Shop with his sons. He was an excellent craftsman,
making and displaying many wooden items: dulcimers, banjos, lamps,
Another hobby was his interest in collecting antique gasoline
engines. He attended many regular shows throughout the south and
had a cornmeal grinding operation. His legacy is being continued
through each of his sons who are actively involved with the
Flywheelers Engine Club. Hopefully the preservation of antique farm
machinery will continue.
Submitted by daughter-in-law Betty Hodges, Rt. 5, Box 375,
Boone, North Carolina 28607, for the Carolina Fly-Wheelers Engine