9374 Roosevelt Street Crown Point, Indiana 46307
The J. I. Case Heritage Foundation held the 8th annual Case
Exposition over the weekend of August 5,6, 7, 1994, in Irricana,
Alberta, Canada, while visiting the Pioneer Acres Plowman &
Threshermen’s Show. One highlight for many was the
Reynolds-Alberta Museum: a simple museum, south of Edmonton in
Wetaskiwin, neighboring S.G. Reynolds Museum, by Stan Reynolds
founded in 1955.
In 1923, Stanley George Reynolds was born in Wetaskiwin. Stan
developed an early interest in machinery while working, after
school and on weekends, in his father’s garage. At age of 18,
with a fascination of airplanes, he joined the Royal Canadian Air
Force. In 1945, after leaving the R.C.A.F. and settling down in
Wetaskiwin, he established his own auto dealership at the age of
22. Soon Stan began to accumulate a massive collection of cars,
airplanes, machinery, military artifacts, Indian artifacts, toys
and other items. In 1955, he decided to share his collection with
others, and founded the S.G. Reynolds Pioneer Museum. In 1974, Stan
approached the Alberta Government with an even bigger dream.
On December 30th, 1981, Stan donated a significant portion of
his collection to the Province of Alberta; this formed the basis of
the Reynolds-Alberta Museum. A committee was appointed to review
Stan’s collection, and by 1985 the selection committee had
completed its task. 860 artifacts were chosen to represent the
transportation, agricultural and industrial heritage of Alberta.
With additional acquisitions and donations from Mr. Reynolds and
other sources, the collection grew to over 1000 pieces.
By June 26,1988, ground was broken for the main museum building,
which officially opened on September 12, 1992. A 1913 Corliss steam
engine, which was installed before the construction, now gives
welcome at the entrance of the museum.
Individual items in the museum range from hot air engine pumping
engines, a horse treadmill and horse sweeps, to stationary,
portable, marine and steam traction engines. The list continues
onto marine engines and gas engines, tractors and crawlers,
eventually ending with wind power.
A fine research library and reference center is available for
workers and visitors.
On September 21, 1994, three acres were plowed with a 1911
Nichols and Shepard, 30 HP and a 12 bottom plow in about two hours.
Future plans include farming of about 60 acres entirely with
Restoration which began in 1982 remains a continuous process.
Debate continues over the next major agricultural piece to be