1914 Fuller & Johnson Resto

1 / 2
The Model N as purchased, still on its original skids.
2 / 2

Eleven-year-old Matthew Holderman is justifiably proud of his
restoration of this 1914 Fuller & Johnson 1-1/2 HP Model N.

While I am not a subscriber to GEM, my dad, Larry Holderman, has
been receiving the magazine for a long time. I am 11 years old, and
I’m in the sixth grade. I have been interested in gas engines
for several years, as my family has attended engine shows for a
long time. My first engine was a 1935 Maytag Model 92 that I
received from my dad when I was six years old. I have taken it to
several shows, including the Echoes of the Past exhibit at the
Kosciusko County Fair in Warsaw, Ind., along with shows at Winamac
and Bourbon, Ind.

I have been wanting a hit-and-miss engine for a long time, and
in May 2000 my dad and grandpa, Stan Holderman, were at the swap
meet at Hawkeye Acres, Waukee, Iowa, and dad brought me home a
1-1/2 HP Fuller & Johnson Model N engine. Dad has checked with
Mr. Verne W. Kindschi, and his records show my engine was shipped
from the factory on March 26, 1914, and was shipped to Wellienton
& Sons, in Alice, N.D.

When they got the engine home, it was caked with old grease and
dirt and was in need of several repairs. I helped scrape and dig
the dirt and grease off as much as I could, and then dad and
grandpa used a high-pressure washer to clean it up. The bearings
and the cylinder were in very good shape, but several other parts
needed attention. The original round gas tank was saved after dad
and grandpa soldered a new bottom in it. Some of the pins had to be
replaced and my dad fitted the bearings with new shims. I helped
paint the primer, and then dad gave it one coat of green paint. We
used acrylic enamel for this. The rest of the engine was then put
together, and the final coats of paint were applied. The skids were
made of 4 x 4 cedar posts. And I did a lot of sanding on them to
get them ready to finish. Also, last fall my dad bought a cart for
my engine at the Cool springs, Pa., swap meet. The engine was then
mounted on the cart and an oiler obtained from Starbolt Engine
Supplies was installed.

During the winter, my grandpa made a dovetailed oak ignition box
for the battery and coil and screwed it to the skids. When the day
came to start the engine, I was glad to see it start so easy. Then
on my birthday, July 4th, I broke my arm, and with the first show
coming in just a few days I had to have my dad start my engine for
me. I have since taken it to shows in Winamac and Valparaiso, Ind.
I have received several compliments on it.

My sister, Amanda, along with my mom, dad and me, go to several
shows with my grandpa and grandma. We usually take at least two
trailers with engines, and sometimes more. Also, my sister and I
help grandpa make ropes with our rope maker and ride our ‘Butt
Buggies’ powered by Chore masters. The whole family has a lot
of fun, and I’m looking forward to getting another engine

Contact engine enthusiast Matthew Holderman at: 2328 W. 300
N, Warsaw, IN 46582,(219)269-1383.

Gas Engine Magazine
Gas Engine Magazine
Preserving the History of Internal Combustion Engines