My Bessemer HALF BREED

By Staff
article image

R.D. 1, Box 757 Luanda, Pennsylvania 16235

The brass nameplate reads, Bessemer Gas Engine Company, Grove
City, Pennsylvania, No. 283, series C. Before this was made into a
gas engine, it was an air compressor used in a local grist mill.
This little compressor was used to compress air for starting a 40
HP T. W. Phillips natural gas engine used in the mill. Through the
years the 40 HP engine was scrapped for junk and the small gas
engine was sold. The compressor remained in the mill until 1993,
when I acquired it. I had it sitting in my shop for a couple of
years until one day when I thought I could make an engine out of
it. It would have been easy to make a c-cycle from it, because it
had ports on the back stroke of the piston. However, the crank end
was of the open type, so I had to scrap the idea of the
2-cycle.

This compressor works upside-down and it had a four inch bore
and four inch stroke. I now thought I could make a 4-cycle from it.
I found an old Briggs and Stratton HP that I had torn apart because
the rod was broken, and I reclaimed the timing gears and cams for
exhaust and intake valves. I used the intake cam to fire the engine
and adapted the timing gears to the end of the crankshaft. I made
the adapter to hold the large gear and cams. I used a micro switch
and cam to make the points (the micro switch was from a heating
control), and scrap odds and ends of steel for the pushrod. I
removed the head and installed an inlet valve and exhaust valves. I
then made a cylinder extension 1 inches long and drilled it to
match the head bolts. In addition, I had to match the inlet valve
port on the extension and install a inch pipe thread long reach
spark plug on the extension. I plugged the ports on the cylinder
walls and used by bar stock to make the rocker arm assembly. I
installed automatic oilers on the main bearings and an automatic
drip oiler on the piston to lube it.

This engine also has a water cooled jacket. I made the water
tank from an air tank removed from a truck with air brakes
(modified by cutting off one end). The water gauge was salvaged
years ago from an old steam boiler. The engine skid is made from 3
inches by 6 inches of red oak. I also fitted a Pickering size ,
which I think was originally from a steam engine, for the governor.
I used buzz coil and battery for the ignition system and made the
battery box from red oak wood.

The time came for starting in February, 1996. I turned
everything on for the start and after attempting a few times and
with a few adjustments on timing and valve settings, it fired and
went off running. It runs very well at 75 rpm. After I discovered
it would run, I had to tear the crazy thing all apart to clean and
paint everything. It now runs well again. Though I have restored
several gas engines from 15 HP to HP Maytags, this was my first
attempt to tackle a project like this.

I would like to thank the former owner from whom I acquired the
engine, John Ochs. Also to thank are my son-in-law, Matt Smerker
for making the flat belt pulley used n the governor; Caswell
Machine Works for making the cylinder extension; my friend, Joe
Schettler for various odds and ends of steel; and last but not
least, my wife, Beverly, for putting up with me while I do my
thing. Thanks again, to all!

Gas Engine Magazine
Gas Engine Magazine
Preserving the History of Internal Combustion Engines