20601 Old State Road, Haubstadt, Indiana 47639
During their 20 years of production Hercules built engines
featuring a wide variety of fuel mixers. Some mixers appeared only
briefly, and others were in use for several years. In this, the
first of three fuel mixer articles, five gasoline mixers will be
In 1914 a few of the first model D engines had Lunkenheimer
brass mixers. They were discontinued as the supply brought from
Sparta, Michigan, was used up. Later, in 1922, the Lunkenheimer
mixer reappeared as an option on ARCO engines. If the sprayers that
the ARCO engines were on were operated on steep slopes, the check
valve in the mixer would insure a proper fuel supply when the power
stroke came. Such a mixer is shown in Figure 1.
In 1914 on most D models and the early E models, a ‘short
J’ cast iron type of mixer was used. Some had Patent Pending on
them. Some had a lip inside the bottom of the opening to hold a
small puddle of gas to aid in starting. A small spring around the
fuel adjustment valve stem held the fuel setting in place. Such a
mixer is shown in Figure 2.
Later in 1914 the first ‘full J’ type mixer made a brief
appearance. Like the ‘short J,’ it too had the attaching
threads cut onto the neck of the casting. There were breakage
problems with that. There was a small square cornered tip
protruding from the elbow of the J. The choke flap screw went into
a blind hole in the intake opening lip. A spring wire rubs against
the fuel adjusting knob to hold it steady. Such a mixer is shown in
Later yet in 1914 and through 1921, the E models featured the
more common ‘full J’ type mixer. The neck was modified with
a heavy collar with a close pipe nipple cast into it for mounting
to the engine head. You may get a surprise if you try to unscrew
the nipple from the mixer. The fuel adjustment remains the same.
The mounting for the choke flap screw is modified so the screw
sticks through where it can be peened to hold it steady. Such a
mixer is shown in Figure 4.
Later in 1921 another version of the ‘full J’ mixer
appeared. The neck was slightly modified and shortened and the fuel
valve position was changed slightly. A spring brass strip replaced
the spring wire and was bolted to the mixer body and extended out
to hold the fuel adjustment knob in place. This mixer was used
until the end of S model engine production in 1929. Such a mixer is
shown in Figure 5.