Ryder, North Dakota 58779.
The area around Makoti had a late season in 1970. Spring work
was about to go into full swing when three feet of snow fell
beginning April 13. This delayed spring seeding until the last part
of May. Harvest began the last of August but was delayed by rain
until the last part of September. After several date changes the
show dates of October 10 and 11 were finalized.
The week before the show was cloudy and cool with the
temperature hovering between 25 and 45. It was hard to generate
enthusiasm for the show. The hard core members of the organization
plodded on doggedly making preparations of the show. The first day
of the show remained cloudy and cold and spirits remained low
although nearly a thousand people attended the show. Sunday morning
the sun came out bright, the wind became a light breeze just right
for draught for the steam engines. By 3 PM the temperature had
risen to about sixty above. An estimated eight thousand people came
to see the parade and show.
We had been surrounded by snow storms on every side the week
before the show. In some directions the snow was less than fifty
miles from Makoti.
The parade this year consisted of about one hundred fifteen
units. About half of the units are the old kerosene tractors
representing 25 different makes. Of these, the Rumely had the
largest number with nine; next was Case with five models.
Here for the first time was a 1909 30-60 Hart Parr purchased
this spring at a farm auction sale near Hallo way, Minnesota. Ed
Dobrinski and Wayne Jones worked furiously the week after harvest
to get the tractor running by show time. Glenn Ness, Minot, drove
his 1912 Model E Oilpull which Dorance Heise, Ryder, had put in
running order during the summer. The addition to the show of these
two more big 30-60 tractors brought the total to nine. The tractors
rated 30-60 or larger.
Mrs. Alger Arness, Plaza, donated the highwheeler homemade model
A Ford mail carrier vehicle. It was driven by Alger Jr., Tioga, for
the parade. Bill Franklin, Ryder, had his completely restored 1925
model K 18-32 cross-mounted Case at the show. Erwin and Dale
Hopkins, Ryder, had a F-12 Farm-all in nice shape driven by Elmer
Anderson, Makoti. Norman Livingston, Minot, brought out a Rumely
Six. Peter Bosch, Minot, brought a standard twin Steel wheel garden
The Minot Antique Car Club came out with a number of beautifully
restored cars. Bernie Solberg, Minot, brought a 1916 Studebaker
grain wagon, which was pulled by Satin and Silk, a Belgian team,
owned by Harry Smith, Sawyer. Wayne Jones, Ryder, had another
trailer load of 25 small stationary engines restored. Dale Hopkins
and Marvin Franklin, Ryder, had several more engines as did other
One pleasant surprise was to come in to town on Saturday morning
and find a 25-75 Garr Scott double cylinder 1916 steam engine on a
lowboy setting by the museum. John Tysse, Jr., Crosby, and Bill
Krumwiede had purchased this engine this summer from Danny Roen,
Comstock, Minnesota. In 1946 the Fargo Forum ran a story on Danny
and his engine. The story got into the Times, from there to the
Yank magazine and so received world wide publicity. John had
contacted Ray German, the engineer from the Four Corners, Montana,
show to come and run the Garr Scott. The engine was still on the
lowboy at noon but by parade time, which was an hour and a half
later, Ray had the engine in the parade line ready to roll. Ray
said he didn’t know how he did it but this does demonstrate his
ability as an engineer.
Ray is also proficient on the fiddle as he demonstrated both
evenings after the show. Sunday evening the Rensch Garage put on a
grilled meal for the members. This year antelope burgers were on
Moving out to threshing area after parade. This is a Russell
outfit at the 1970 Makoti Threshing Show.
With the completion of another steel covered building this
summer of 60 by 90, our museum complex now has over 13,000 square
feet of floor space. The buildings are completely emptied to the
bare walls for the show. A complete floor plan was made up this
year for the museum so each unit has a designated place in the
museum. Most of the units were positioned Sunday evening after the
show, while the remaining few were parked inside Monday morning.
The museum is open at any time for those interested in viewing our
show units. The 1970, 150-page show booklet is also available for a
Bill Grimley of Durham, N. C, is wearing a jacket. This is the
only men’s jacket picturized in our 3 day show. The Magnolia in
the background blooms June-July-Aug. Here’s hoping that Will
will be back with his truck load of engines for Antique Acres
second annual show April 16-17-18, 1971 (minus jacket). Most of
Bill’s 50 engines are choice collectors items.