Aug. 3-4, 2002, saw the Dodge County Antique Power Club
presenting its 34th annual show at its permanent home near the
village of Burnett, Wis. The 2002 show featured tractors and
machinery made by Cockshutt Farm Equipment Co., Brantford, Ontario
Canada, and gas engines made by Fuller & Johnson Manufacturing
Co., Madison, Wis., a combination that produced great participation
from owners, exhibitors and flea marketers alike, with attendees
responding in kind.
Fuller & Johnson Engines
When Fuller & Johnson was proposed as our gas engine feature
we were fairly confident it would be a successful feature. After
all, Fuller & Johnson engines were built just 50 miles away in
Madison, Wis. There are a number of Fuller & Johnson collectors
in the area, and quite a few collectors have one or more Fuller
& Johnsons in their collections. We weren’t disappointed –
35 exhibitors brought approximately 60 Fuller & Johnson
Verne Kindschi, Prairie de Sac, Wis., brought his 1914 Model DE
20 HP engine, several models and some of his collection of Fuller
& Johnson material. He had production and serial number
records, signs and even tools from the factory. Verne and his wife,
Pearly, displayed some original Fuller & Johnson factory
records, recorded and stored in large old ledger books. They even
brought the whistle that once stood atop the Fuller & Johnson
factory. Verne, author of The Fuller & Johnson Story and
The Fuller & Johnson Story II, is probably the foremost
authority on Fuller & Johnson.
Verne Kindschi with his 1914 20 HP Fuller & Johnson Model
DE. Introduced in 1905, there were two styles of DE (Double
Efficiency) engines, a ‘smaller type’ and a ‘larger
type,’ The larger type was the only sideshaft engine F&J
Harlan Hjermstad came all the way from Kenyon, Minn., with four
engines, including a rare 3 HP oil-cooled and a 2-1/2 HP vertical
hopper-cooled engine. Don Winkler, Mew Holstein, Wis., displayed a
beautifully restored 3 HP oil-cooled engine, and Bill Riddle,
Poynette, Wis., brought a 10 HP Model IN.
Dennis Genger, Hartford, Wis., showed four engines, ranging from
1-1/2 HP to 7 HP, and Walter Thomas, also from Hartford, enjoyed
running his rare vertical two-cylinder, hopper-cooled 5-8 HP
engine. Herb Miller, Waunakee, Wis., brought an equally rare 1928
two-cylinder, radiator-cooled Model LAM. All told, it was a nice
selection of Fuller & Johnson engines ranging from the rare to
the relatively common.
Cockshutt tractors were never a big selling brand in Wisconsin,
but they did show up in pockets where there happened to be a strong
dealer. CO-OP tractors and equipment built by Cockshutt are more
widespread in this part of the country, but even CO-OP equipment
isn’t plentiful. Even so, Cockshutt collectors are a loyal
bunch, and thanks to a lot of hard work by club members promoting
the show and hauling equipment, 24 exhibitors brought some 50 items
for the feature. These were mostly tractors, but there were several
implements mixed in, as well.
Don Winkler’s rare and beautifully restored oil-cooled 3 HP
Fuller & Johnson. It’s estimated that fewer than 1,500 of
this style were built between 1903 and 1908.
Wayne Bubolz and his son Curt, Juneau, Wis., brought six
Cockshutt tractors, including a Model 30, a Model 40, a Model 550
and a CO-OP E3. Calvin Becker, Iron Ridge, Wis., brought five; and
Neal and Thomas Zastrow, Lebanon, Wis., brought in seven tractors.
Phillip Hansen displayed a 1950Model 20 deluxe and a 1947
Oliver-built Model 60 standard. Ralph Wiedmeyer brought a 1947
CO-OP E3 and a 1951 E4. Russ and Denise Sponem, Jefferson, Wis.,
displayed Denise’s 1952 Model 20, a plow and Cockshutt
memorabilia. Robert Zimmerly, Pleasant Prairie, Wis., displayed his
impressive Model 40 deluxe Wheatland. All in all a very nice
turn-out for what is definitely a minority brand.
Ken Witt (standing on trailer) with his 3 HP Fuller &
Johnson Model NA. About 1,000 NAs were built between 1922 and
Robert Zimmerly’s Cockshutt Model 40 Deluxe Wheatland. The
Model 40 was introduced in 1949 and production ended in 1958.
In 1945 Cockshutt entered into a marketing agreement with the
Gambles Store chain to sell Cockshutt tractors. This 1948 Gambles
Farmcrest 30, probably one of the last ones built, belongs to Chuck
In 1930 Cockshutt contracted with Oliver Hart-Parr to supply
tractors. The Cockshutt Model 60 was the last Oliver tractor added
to the line before Cockshutt began building its own machines in
1947. This fine example belongs to Phillip Mansen.
The antique power club sold raffle tickets, eventually giving
away a Cockshutt Model 30 with wide-front end, a Fuller &
Johnson Model NC 2 HP engine and a Cockshutt pedal tractor.
The wheels are in motion as planning for the 2003 show gets
under way. Scheduled for Aug. 2-3, 2003, the Dodge County Antique
Power Club’s 35th Annual Show will feature Massey-Harris and
Massey Ferguson tractors and equipment. The gas engine feature will
be Sears Economy engines, and along with the gas engine feature
we’ll include Sears Economy tractors, Graham Bradley tractors
and also David Bradley garden tractors and implements, all Sears
Contact engine enthusiast Glenn Oestreich at: 1310 S. 9th
St., Watertown, Wl 53094, (920) 261-7235.