Waving the flag

| March/April 1987

  • Oliver flags

  • Oliver flags

Route 5, Box 185 Harbeson, Delaware 19951

On April 1, 1929, the Oliver Plow Company merged with the Hart-Parr Tractor Company, Nichols and Shepard Threshing Machine Company, and American Seeding Machine Company to form the Oliver Farm Equipment Company. At that time they created a flag as an emblem to symbolize the new company (as shown on the fly sheet of an old Oliver Plow catalog). This emblem was used for several years until the first Oliver shield was adopted.

We don't know whether actual flags were ever made or whether they were just used as a printed emblem-at least we've never run across any actual flags. We would surely like to know if any collector might have one.  

Because he knew it would make a handsome banner to fly with the American flag on his 1935 standard Oliver 70 tractor, John Clow of Annapolis, Maryland, asked his wife Pat to be his Betsy Ross and make one for him in the original design and colors. Then their fellow collector, Norman D. Clark, who is retired after being an Oliver dealer for 40 years at Honey Grove, Pennsylvania, asked his wife Kate to make one for him. Pictured are the completed flags displayed with some of the Clarks' and Clows' tractors at the Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association's annual reunion at Kinzers, Pennsylvania, in August of 1986.