R.D. #1, Box 57-C Sullivan, Ohio 44880
After restoring 1940 Case tractor #VC 4416143, my son Jeff and I want to share what we learned with G.E.M. readers. A letter in the magazine asking for help got answers from six V series Case owners. They are: Ken Linnum, Pewaukee, Wisconsin (1941 VC); Donald G. Webb, Cottam, Ontario (VC); Edwin H. Bredemier, Steinauer, Nebraska (1941 VC); Louis Miller, Georgetown, Texas (VC); Arthur Crabille, Lakeland, Florida (1942 VO) and Bill Neumann, Manitowoc, Wisconsin who sent a photograph of the 1940 VC he has restored to mint condition. Thank you all who answered my call for help, including Roy D. Sonne born, agricultural customer relations, J. I. Case Company and Brent Behner, LaGrange Tractor Sales.
The V series Case tractor was built in 1940 and 1941 (a few in 1942) in the following models: V four wheel general purpose; VI four wheel industrial; VO four wheel orchard; and V Crow crop with single wheel or twin wheels in front. The engine is a four cylinder Continental (F124) with a 3' bore and 43/8 stroke. The transmission is four speed, with fourth for road work. On V-VI-VO, the rear tires are 8 x 24, and on the VC 8 x 32 with 10 x 28 optional. Belt pulley, power take off, hydraulic lift, steel front and rear wheels, adjustable wide front axle (VC only), low cost fuel kit, starter and lighting package were some of the available options. Numerous special options were available for the VI industrial tractor.
Many production changes were made on the V series tractors during the short two year run, which leads me to believe the V series was a pilot model for the more popular VA series which started production in 1942. Some of the changes are: differential drive gear ratio; differential case; belt pulley (early cast iron, late pressed steel); belt pulley drive, constant mesh to gear throw out type; carburetor, (early TSX 42, late TSX 43); governor linkage had two changes; brakes, (early had band type, late had disc); steering gear ratio change; front pedestal (VC only); seat assembly; transmission gear shift cover.
Our VC Case was found in a weed bed where it had been for many years. I had repaired and operated farm tractors for many years, but I'd never seen a VC Case before. After a number of visits and lots of haggling with the owner, we at last owned a very rough one.
Now for the restoration, which all old iron people enjoy. The first job was to free up the engine which was stuck. After pulling the cylinder head, an inspection showed rusted cylinders, but a few days of soaking with penetrating oil freed up the engine. The previous owner had a fruit jar over the exhaust pipe, which saved the engine from permanent damage. While the head was off, the valves were lapped in with grinding compound, and after assembly the engine had good compression.
The carburetor was bad, so we found one on a 9N Ford tractor, but had to use the throttle shaft from the Case carburetor so governor linkage would attach. Next the Edison-Splitdorf magneto had a bad coil and we were unable to find one, so we used a Fairbanks-Morse magneto on a Lincoln portable arc welder which had a Continental engine. The impulse lag on magnetos used on V series tractors must be fifteen degrees, while most farm tractors require thirty to thirty-five degrees lag.
The brakes did not work, so the axle housings were pulled to find the problem. After removing many old mouse nests, the axle seals were found to be leaking grease on the brake linings. During the cleanup, a crack was found that went all the way around the transmission-differential housing. A welder said it would be best to replace the casting, as welding would distort it too much. After quite a search, a used casting was located in a tractor salvage yard in Willard, Ohio. This casting along with axle seals and brake lining was replaced. Possibly water accumulated in the transmission-differential casting and froze causing the crack.
The clutch was not engaging properly, so the torque tube was pulled. A broken clutch disc was found, also bad clutch pressure plate, clutch shaft and clutch shaft bearings. These parts were found after much searching. (The above clutch parts from a VA series Case will fit.) A piece of wire had been used for a throttle because all the governor and throttle linkage was missing. Parts were found on a V Case with later production linkage, and with some remodeling, were adapted to our tractor.
Sometime in the past the front pedestal had been sheared off and brazed back together. A misalignment in the brazing job caused the front wheels to set crooked. A different pedestal was found for replacement. On early models a flat steel washer was used in the pedestal for the spindle assembly to pivot on, but after #4520565 a roller bearing was used. This made the steering much easier.
The steering wheel was badly cracked with pieces of hard rubber missing. After cleaning all the rust off the inner steel ring, Bon do (auto body hole filler) was put in the cracks and places where the hard rubber was missing. We used a file and sandpaper to reshape the steering wheel, and a coat of black lacquer made it look as good as new.
A lot of work was required to prepare the tractor for paint. At some time in the past the wheels and rims had been painted with black roof tar, so it was a big job to remove them. After many days of cleaning, sanding, hammering out dents and scraping off many layers of red, yellow, green, silver and orange paint, the tractor was primed and painted Flambeau Red. Decals added the final touch to the restoration. (Decals for VA series tractors can be modified to use on the V series.)
During September 1983, the VC made its first showing at the LaGrange Engine Club show at LaGrange, Ohio. The VC drew a lot of attention because most people had never seen one before. Our VC has 11 x 28 rear tires and is used to skid logs and haul firewood. It also has the dependable arm strong starter.