THE SAMSON TRACTOR


| May/June 1970



Samson 'M' chassis

Courtesy of Leroy Quandt, Ryder, North Dakota 58779

Leroy Quandt

Ryder, North Dakota 58779.

One of the Samson tractors made by the Samson Tractor Company of Janesville, Wisconsin, Division of General Motors Corporation was the Model 'D' -- The Iron Horse. It was a four wheel drive, short turn tractor that drives with lines, like a team of horses. It is advertised to do the work of three horses at less cost and also furnished belt power. The price to user - $630 F.O.B. Janesville, Wisconsin, according to the 1920 issue of Tractor and Gas Engine Review. There is a two page spread describing this tractor along with several pictures.

R. B. Gray, in his 'Development of the Agriculture Tractor in the United States, Part I,' has the following description: 4 cylinder vertical motor, high tension ignition; transmission belt drive; forward and reverse speeds with independent control for each side of tractor. There was no differential needed and all four wheels were drivers, chain and sprocket final drive. Controls were by levers acting as belt tighteners to which could be attached reins, permitting it to be operated from a distance as from a corn planter or binder.

Another article in the June 1920 issue of Tractor and Gas Engine Review is on the Samson Model 'M.' This is a detailed description of a farmer's experiences with this tractor. He purchased the model 'M' on June 10, 1919.

The Nebraska test No. 27 in June 1920 for the Model 'M' Samson Engine No. 13490 and chassis No. 12784 gives the following information: Rated load brake horsepower 17.20, rated load draw-bar horsepower 9.32, specifications -- engine four cylinder vertical, L-head bore 4', stroke 5?', rated speed 1100 rpm. Chassis four wheel, rated speeds; low gear 2.3 mph, high gear 3.19 mph. Total weight 3300 pounds.

The Samson 'M' chassis No. 4030 pictured was donated to the Makoti Threshing Association by Louis Wahner, Parshall, North Dakota and restored by Alvid and Art Anderson, Makoti. It was bought new by B. L. Wahner, Parshall in 1920 from Joe Rensch, Makoti for about $650.