The REAL Fordson, Part III

MYSTERIOUS MOM MYTH


| August/September 1987



Early 1917 tractor

Early 1917 imported to England. Note: 'blank' radiator casts, early metal pulley, small hex cast-iron front hub caps, repaired front wheels, incorrect rear wheels, steering wheel, radiator cap, etc.

Rick Rohrs

National Director, Fordson Tractor Club, 250 Robinson Road Cave Junction, Oregon, 97523, and Thomas G. Brent, Canadian Fordson, Branch Director, Box 150 Dewdney, B.C. Canada, V0M 1H0

Since the publication of Part II (X-9 Series) of the 'REAL Fordson Story', no one has provided any new or conflicting evidence. Nor has anyone brought forth information on the 'missing' manifold and carburetor of the X-9, tractor formerly at the Ford Museum. As the real Fordson story continues, new facts will: unveil clouded history, list production numbers week-by-week, and picture the characteristics that set the 'MOM' apart from earlier 'Ford and Son' tractors, and later 'Fordson' tractors.

The first mass-produced tractors by Ford (the MOMS) were a breed apart, and are represented by a handful now mostly restored some 70 years later.

Just about every article or book published to this date reads something to the effect that 'The first 6,000 FORDSON tractors were sent to England for the War effort (WWI).' However, this statement is more fictional than fact.

So much has been left out, so many incorrect 'facts' have been perpetrated, so many myths have arisen, that it is now time to place this tractor (familiarly known as the MOM) into its proper niche in history.

First, where did the pseudonymn or nickname of 'MOM' come from? As is well known, English-speaking people, and especially Americans have a penchant to turn initials of organizations or people into nicknames. Hence: NASA, IRA, SWAT, MADD, and probably a dozen more each reader can recall. MOM is derived from the Ministry Of Munitions, the branch of the British Government newly established in 1914 with Lloyd George at its head to procure necessary war materials. Placed in charge in 1916 of this War Agency was Percival Lee Dewhurst Perry (later Lord Perry).