The John Deere- Lindeman Co.


| September/October 1975



Crawler pictured plowing snow

Gordon Stroven

14038 68th Avenue, Coopersville, Michigan 49404

A brief history of the growth and success of the company.

When J. D. and H. W. Lindeman organized the company in 1922, they had a combined capital of $250. The original company was formed in 1923 by Jesse Lindeman and his brother Harry Lindeman and the partnership was expanded in 1925 when Ross W. Lindeman, another brother, joined the organization.

Jesse Lindeman who lived and worked on an Iowa farm migrated to Yakima, Washington. He soon realized that the standard agricultural equipment then available was inadequate to meet the problems of the western farmers. This is when the Lindeman disc-harrow was placed on the market and Lindeman became a large manufacturing company. It was known through out the country as the Lindeman Power Equipment Co. of Yakima, Washington.

In a period of 15 years the staff increased from 2 to 42 men.

In 1930 the firm suffered two setbacks. Harry Lindeman died and the depression brought additional problems.