The Allied Motors Corporation

A THUMBNAIL SKETCH OF A SYNDICATE COMPANY


| October/November 1998



Viking Garden Tractor catalog

Illustration from a Viking Garden Tractor catalog.

15090 State Route BB St. James, Missouri 65559 (573)- 265-7030 e-mail: markb@umr.edu

Though launched in 1929 with a charter to develop a garden tractor to replace the 'heavy' horse on the farm, Allied was not marketing a product nationally before 1931.

After this, though, Allied operated out of Minneapolis and New York City from 1931 through 1937. The company address changed slightly during these years for unknown reasons.2

The order of production at the Allied works roughly parallels the syndicate's success. From 1929 to 1931, a completely new design was developed and tested. This was the 'B' model Viking Twin. As many as 64,000 units of this tractor may have been made before the next major design change occurred.4 Later, after the design strengths and deficiencies of the 'B' were identified, it was clear that a less expensive design would serve, and these were incorporated into both the next generation of Viking Twin, the 'F' model, and the new Standard Twin design as well. Both of these machines were introduced in 193. Sharing the same engine, clutch, and transmission as the Standard Twin5 , the parts interchangeability only made sense during the depression era. Finally, the CF Viking twin, a virtual clone of the Standard Twin in different sheet metal was in production beginning in 1937. Things were clicking along in grand fashion until December of 1941, when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.

Wartime use of resources was very strictly controlled by the government, and the availability of raw material to produce parts made further production of Allied equipment impossible. Because of this, under the guise of helping out with the war effort, Allied ceased production in early 1942. After the war, they made another appearance with a tractor that used a pre-made engine and an assembled frame. They did not survive long in the market with this new, cheaper, approach.

In 1952, when the syndicate was first sold away from its founders, things began to change all across the companies. The Viking name was resurrected, and a series of composite machines were put into production beginning in 1953. The tractors were to be called the Viking 3 A, 4 A and 7A. These tractors used Kohler engines of 3, 4, and 7 HP respectively. The chassis, or frame and driving gear of all these Vikings were the same, with only the different engine justifying a name change. Initially though, in 1953, only the Viking 3A was available.