Circa 1910 pioneer '30' Gas Aultman & Taylor.
9374 Roosevelt Street Crown Point, Indiana 46307
The J. I. Case Heritage Foundation held the 8th annual Case Exposition over the weekend of August 5,6, 7, 1994, in Irricana, Alberta, Canada, while visiting the Pioneer Acres Plowman & Threshermen's Show. One highlight for many was the Reynolds-Alberta Museum: a simple museum, south of Edmonton in Wetaskiwin, neighboring S.G. Reynolds Museum, by Stan Reynolds founded in 1955.
In 1923, Stanley George Reynolds was born in Wetaskiwin. Stan developed an early interest in machinery while working, after school and on weekends, in his father's garage. At age of 18, with a fascination of airplanes, he joined the Royal Canadian Air Force. In 1945, after leaving the R.C.A.F. and settling down in Wetaskiwin, he established his own auto dealership at the age of 22. Soon Stan began to accumulate a massive collection of cars, airplanes, machinery, military artifacts, Indian artifacts, toys and other items. In 1955, he decided to share his collection with others, and founded the S.G. Reynolds Pioneer Museum. In 1974, Stan approached the Alberta Government with an even bigger dream.
On December 30th, 1981, Stan donated a significant portion of his collection to the Province of Alberta; this formed the basis of the Reynolds-Alberta Museum. A committee was appointed to review Stan's collection, and by 1985 the selection committee had completed its task. 860 artifacts were chosen to represent the transportation, agricultural and industrial heritage of Alberta. With additional acquisitions and donations from Mr. Reynolds and other sources, the collection grew to over 1000 pieces.
By June 26,1988, ground was broken for the main museum building, which officially opened on September 12, 1992. A 1913 Corliss steam engine, which was installed before the construction, now gives welcome at the entrance of the museum.
Individual items in the museum range from hot air engine pumping engines, a horse treadmill and horse sweeps, to stationary, portable, marine and steam traction engines. The list continues onto marine engines and gas engines, tractors and crawlers, eventually ending with wind power.
A fine research library and reference center is available for workers and visitors.
On September 21, 1994, three acres were plowed with a 1911 Nichols and Shepard, 30 HP and a 12 bottom plow in about two hours. Future plans include farming of about 60 acres entirely with vintage machines.
Restoration which began in 1982 remains a continuous process. Debate continues over the next major agricultural piece to be restored.