Lorne's restored home built tractor as displayed at Niagara Antique Power Show
442 Killaly Street East, Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada, L3K 1P5
I am a member of the Niagara Antique Power Association. Our club is dedicated to keeping the past alive, and old iron in view for the younger generation to see.
The tractor I am describing was built by myself during the second World War (out of necessity). I needed a tractor on rubber to use on my hundred acre farm, and none were available at that time. I had ordered two, a 9N Ford, and an 'S' series Case, neither was available.
I decided in the Fall of 1944 that I would have to build it myself. Equipped with a cold chisel, hammer, hack saw, power emery wheel, homemade electric welder, and a great deal of determination and the use of a neighbor's metal lathe, I did just that. I finished the tractor in April 1945, in time for spring planting.
The borrowed metal lathe was 18 inch swing and five foot bed, and it has recently been donated to our Antique Power Association Blacksmith Shop for display.
The front axle was made from the middle part of a Fordson axle with Model A axle ends, welded on and 1935 Ford V8 hubs and wheels, with 600 x 16 tires.
The frame: six inch channel iron, the round front on the frame was formed out of one-eighth plate with a cold chisel, hammer and pieces welded together.
The rear axle: from a Ford one-ton truck with wooden wheels, the hubs of which were modified to take steel twenty-inch truck wheels, with the rims widened out to ten inches to take 900 x 20 truck tires. I used a set of heavy tire chains made from half-inch log chain for cross chains to drive in muddy weather.
It was powered by a model A Ford engine complete with a new Pierce governor, price of which was $35.00. It was fitted with a model AA Ford truck four-speed transmission complete with power take off which was used with a 9 N belt pulley gear box, this was available for $35.00 new at the time. The drive shaft for the pulley machined from a Model T drive shaft complete with perfectly fitted splines to fit the universal joints.
To the differential accomplished through two universal joints to a 'tapered roller pinion, housing and shaft'. Modified to take a twenty-four tooth #80 roller chain sprocket.
The end on the differential being a forty-eight tooth supported by an outboard bearing. The complete drive was housed in a specially designed and fabricated steel case with the chain running in oil. The complete reduction drive was made on the lathe, including sprockets. The #80 chain was purchased from John Deere. The radiator cover was cut of one-eighth plate for the top, and below three thirty-seconds material. This was all cut with a chisel and hammer and welded and then formed with the hammer.
The rest of the hood, gas tank and dash and fenders were just a simple construction job.
This tractor was used exclusively on our hundred acre farm for ten years, filling silo and all other farm needs.
The motor was completely rebuilt twice.
In 1956 or '57 it was sold to a farmer who used it for another 10 years. The fiber timing gear broke, it was dismanteled for repairs but never repaired. Thus it ended up in pieces outside in the weather.
I was able to buy it back in April 1983. I restored it in time for the last day of our Niagara Antique Power Association show and it was displayed there.
Submitted by Kenneth Benner, 1173 Sunset Dr., Fort Erie, Ontario L2A 5M4. Lome Augustine and wife Erma with 2 sons had a dairy farm and dairy and now have a restaurant where they make ice cream.