1973 Makoti, North Dakota Threshing & Antique Show Report

| March/April 1974

Quandt, Ryder, North Dakota 58779

This report of the show held October 6 and 7 is written to give some of the problems involved in putting on such a show and parade.

The 22-44 Minneapolis tractor was ready and running on Saturday but just as the parade began the fan belt broke, so it was unable to go. There wasn't time to get another belt or repairs to fix the broken belt. The parade goes down main street of the town out to the show grounds and begins at a fixed time.

The 30-60 Big 4 tractor operated by Clarence Butler, Mesa, Arizona started down the parade route on Saturday, when suddenly it began to miss on one cylinder. It limped out to the show grounds, where the rest of the day was spent tearing the engine down. One of the intake valves stems had broken. This was taken to the shop and welded together again. Then the engine was put back together before dark so the tractor was ready to go for the Sunday parade.

The 30-60 Hart Parr Old Reliable was giving trouble in starting as the timing was off on the ignition and the hit and miss mechanism. Some times the firing came after the gas fumes had reached the smoke stack. The resulting explosion sounded as though the tractor was going to blow all to pieces. Clarence Densur, Austin, Manitoba, a man who lived and grew up with these Hart Pan-tractors, came down for our show and took on the job of setting the timing on the Old Reliable. It didn't take him long to get it started and running the way it should. He spent most of the weekend finishing up on the fine tuning of the tractor so it really ran nice by the end of the show.

Julius Orth came up from Beulah, North Dakota and asked to drive a tractor. Willard Olson, Powers Lake, North Dakota had a 20-30 type W Rumely Oil Pull besides his model K 12-20 Oil Pull here in our museum. The W Oil Pull was started and it was discovered the Manzel lubricator was not functioning properly. All day Saturday was spent by Julius taking the lubricator apart and trying to repair it. Parts were needed but these were not available locally, so Willard had to drive home, a round trip of nearly two hundred miles for parts. By parade time Sunday the tractor was operating.