Engine show enthusiast HELEN INGALLS of Battle Creek, Michigan, passed away suddenly on November 19.
Helen and husband Bob were members of the Michigan Flywheelers Museum and the Florida Flywheelers Club.
They attended antique engine and tractor shows throughout the Michigan/Indiana area and also in Florida in a Coachmen camper, pulling a display of flywheel engines, including a working corn grinder. During the Michigan Flywheelers' annual show, Helen supervised the 'Chinese Auction,' and could often be found helping with ad missions at the gate. She also participated in all of the ladies auxiliary events and helped in the development of the grounds and buildings at the museum.
Helen will be remembered fondly for not only her collection of chicken items but for her beautiful and contagious laugh and her smiling face.
She is survived by her husband Bob; sons Pat and Mike, their wives Kim and Terrie, and two grandchildren.
Submitted by Kim Ingalls, 64958 M-43, Bangor, Michigan 49013.
WALTER H. NIELAND, 81, of Carroll, Iowa, died November 28, 1997.
Walter, son of William and Catherine (Grote) Nieland, was born April 18, 1916, at Carroll. In 1939, he married Viola Stalert, who died in 1940.
In 1943, he married Teresa Wadle. The couple worked the family farm north of Carroll until 1986 when they moved to their home in Carroll.
He is survived by his children: Kenneth and wife Marilyn, Kathleen Schwery and husband Duane, Rita Huegerich and husband Eugene, Norm and wife Sherry, and Les and wife Kathy; nine grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
Walt was a collector and restorer of antique gas engines and was a good friend to all in Gas Engine Land. He was a walking encyclopedia on the workings of the internal combustion engine.
Walt and I spent many a day together at antique auctions. He was a good traveling companion, and will be missed.
Submitted by Arlin Sigmon, 3825 Xavier Avenue, Auburn, Iowa 51433.
MERIDITH E. BRISON, 69, Millersport, Ohio, died January 9, 1998.
Born March 18, 1928 in Millersport, he was the son of the late Eugene and Florette Miller Brison.
M.E. was a member of the Hocking Valley Thrashers Association, many antique gas engine clubs, and Millersport United Methodist Church.
He was the owner of Brison's Inc., the world's largest supplier of decals for antique gas engines, and was also a retired farmer.
He is survived by his wife, Joyce Ann; son Ed Brison of Thornville; daughter Nancy Marie Davis of Dublin; and eight grandchildren.
Submitted by Charles Snook,' 13265 Ivy Road N.E., Thornville, Ohio 43076.