A Little CT-1 Stover

| January/February 1999

6889 Glenroy Street, San Diego, California 92120

I thought you might enjoy the history of the restoration of a little CT-1 Stover. The photos show the steps required to bring the little engine back to life.

I found the little engine at an auto parts swap meet a couple of years ago. The engine seemed complete but, as could be expected, was covered with years of grease, grime, dirt and straw. The engine was stuck tight, and the mag was full of dirt. After some negotiations, I was able to purchase the engine for just about the going price of the magneto.

The first step was to stand the engine on end and load up the cylinder and other moving parts with penetrant to free up the piston. After a few days, I began to try to rock the flywheels, and after a few tries the piston began to move a little at a time. When I finally got the piston out, I was happy to see that the bore was in great shape. I proceeded to fully disassemble the engine and clean all the parts. To my surprise, the engine was in fine shape with little wear. I lapped the valves and purchased the normal engine overhaul parts and a muffler from GEM advertisers. The only other part that needed replacing was the gas tank, which a buddy made for me out of sheet metal.

I primed all the parts with a good red primer, and then gave it two coats of acrylic enamel covered by a clear coat to help fuel and oil-proof the paint.

I mentioned that the whole deal had cost about the price of a Wico EK magneto. Well, I tore the mag down, cleaned the parts, replaced the points and covers, and it worked and looked like new.


Gas Engine Magazine A_M 16Gas Engine Magazine is your best source for tractor and stationary gas engine information.  Subscribe and connect with more than 23,000 other gas engine collectors and build your knowledge, share your passion and search for parts, in the publication written by and for gas engine enthusiasts! Gas Engine Magazine brings you: restoration stories, company histories, and technical advice. Plus our Flywheel Forum column helps answer your engine inquiries!

Be sure to take advantage of the Square Deal Subscription Program.

  • No Missed Issues.

  • No Renewal Notices.

  • No Additional Cost.

The Square Deal Subscription Program is designed as a paperless transaction with automatic renewals at a preferred low rate.   With advanced electronic notification, a 100% satisfaction guarantee and an easy opt-out plan, the Square Deal Subscription Program is the best value, risk free, eco-friendliest way to subscribe.

Facebook YouTube


Copyright 2018, All Rights Reserved
Ogden Publications, Inc., 1503 SW 42nd St., Topeka, Kansas 66609-1265