WHEN MAYTAG MEANT QUALITY FARM PRODUCTS

Reprinted from MAYTAG BULLETIN Vol. XXV, No. 29 - Feb. 8, 1968


| September/October 1976



Ford engine and transmission

Manager Public Relations Activities, The Maytag Company, Newton, Ohio 50208

It is doubtful that a farmer in the last decade of the 19th century would have agreed with the frivolous label 'Gay Nineties.'

The mechanical wonders and labor-saving devices of today were far from reality in the 1890s. Hard work and long hours typified the farmer's life and the labor frequently was dangerous. Field workers of that period knew the dangers of hand-cutting on bundles of grain and feeding grain into the whirling cylinders of big threshing machines.

Frederick Louis Maytag, a farm youth, was conscious of threshing dangers and, while working in the lumber business in Newton in 1892, he watched G. W. Parsons experiment with and build a band cutting and self feeder attachment. Implement companies had failed in many experiments to find a practical attachment of this type.

Mr. Maytag assisted in the first test of this machine in the autumn of 1892 and in February, 1893, Mr. Parsons invited him to cooperate in the further development and marketing of this new product.

Company is Formed

In March, 1893, the Parsons Band Cutter and Self Feeder Company was formed with a capital of $2,400. Four men, each with one-fourth of the stock, comprised the firm. W. C. Bergman was elected president and manager; A. H. Bergman, vice-president; F. L. Maytag, secretary and G. W. Parsons was named to direct production.