The OHIO GAS ENGINE


| September/October 1982



4 HP Ohio gas engine

(Editor's note: The 4 HP Ohio Motor Company engine pictured on our cover is owned by Keith and Jeanne Monnier of 18400 Sidney-Plattsville Rd., Sidney, Ohio 45365. What follows is their story of the restoration work on the engine and a history of the Ohio Motor Company, which they have compiled for our readers.)

Our 'Ohio' Engine

Early last winter we acquired our own 4 HP Ohio Motor Company engine. This engine was made in Sandusky, Ohio and sold to the Amherst Motor Company of Amherst, Nova Scotia for marketing. The engine had been used in Brunswick, Canada to pump water; it was always shedded in the pump house.

The engine was in pretty good condition with all the parts intact except for drip oilers, gasoline tank, and water tank. Restoration began in March of 1981; we finished restoring the engine last in August, 1981. The engine was completely dismantled except for removing the flywheels from the crankshaft. All castings were sanded down to the bare metal, then brushed with six coats of rusty metal primer number 7769 as the base primer. These were wet sanded, followed by two coats of sprayed primer, then wet sanded with 400 grit wet or dry paper. The finish paint color selected was Sherwin-Williams Maroon number F65 Ml Kem-Lustral Enamel. The finish surface received five coats of this sprayed on. Parts that were machine finished originally were polished and nickel plated. All original brass parts were polished. New gasoline and water tanks were made. Original steel pipe for gasoline and water lines was changed to polished red brass pipe. The engine was pinstriped in yellow.

Nearly all the bugs have been worked out of it for smooth operation, and we hope to show it at several shows in the Midwest.

The history of the Ohio Motor Co. is an interesting one. What follows is the basic story, gathered from several sources. The first listings came from the Sandusky City Guide Directory.

First listing 1898-1899: Underwood Motor Co. (The)- Incorporated May 24, 1897, with capital stock of $10,000. Henry C. Strong was President; R. E. Schuck, Vice President; G. F. Anderson, Secretary; James Flynn, Treasurer; and Albert Schwehr, the Manager. The company location was 232 Columbus Avenue.