R 2, Box 172, LeCenter, Minnesota 56057
It was the end of August, 1991. I had a small exhibit at the LeSueur County Pioneer Power Threshing Show. I knew of the little Mogul a few months before the show, but working construction and helping my dad with the farm left no time to think about old engines until the show comes, then the bug bites you hard!
I talked to Tom, the owner of the engine, at the show, and planned on having a look the following Sunday. It was just a few miles from my place. The day finally came. The little Mogul, serial #UB2660, was in a shed very dusty and dirty, but in good condition from being stored inside. The mag and ignitor were replaced with a spark plug and a Bosch high tension mag bolted to the water hopper using a long shaft with the original mag gear to reach the crankshaft. Anyway, it was done very neatly and had a strong spark. So we made a deal on the engine. Tom said the original parts may be in one of his sheds, but I really didn't know what to look for.
A man in our club has a Mogul Jr. I went to look at it. Now knowing what to look for, I went back to Tom's to look for parts for mine. He said whatever belonged to the engine I could have. I was lucky. I found the mag, but no luck with the ignitor, which probably was the reason it was switched to spark plug.
Next I cleaned and oiled the main parts, and with a little gas it started right up and ran very well just the way it was. Then I found someone to make an ignitor for me. While waiting for that, a friend helped me build a cart. My dad had some dry white ash in a shed. It was just what I wanted. Next another friend made me a new gas tank and front legs for my cart out of stainless steel, and high polished them.
When the ignitor came I couldn't wait to try it. I cleaned the mag, timed it, bolted on the ignitor and gave the flywheels a good hard turn and she took right off. I had a grin from ear to ear. I like polished flywheels and with a couple coats of clear lacquer they keep rust free for a few years. After this job was done the rest of the parts were cleaned, primed and painted with two coats of Mogul green, then assembled.
I couldn't resist a little pin striping in gold. The engine is now original, maybe a little over-restored, but it looks great in my living room.
According to Wendel's book it was built between 1915 and 1917. I believe it is a 1916.
Thank you to everyone who helped or gave me advice.