An older reader writes in about three restored engines, the three favorites, in his small collection.
The three restored engines I'd like to tell you about are my three favorites in my collection. I may not have as many as some of you, as I started collecting them only two years ago. Back in the early twenties I had a number which were used for sawing wood, pumping water, grinding feed, etc. I regret that with the coming of electricity and the tractor that they were either sold on junked. With more leisure time, I now enjoy collecting and restoring them to running order.
First is a 6 H.P. Economy which was sold by Sears-Roebuck Company. It was mounted on a horse-drawn wagon and used many years for sawing wood, and later it set by a saw mill and was used for sawing slabs.
Second is a 1/2 H.P. Sattley, sold by Montgomery Ward Company. It was bought new in 1914 and used for pumping water and other small jobs. When I got this engine it had not been run for 31 years.
Third is a 1 1/2 H.P Chore Boy (Air-cooled) and made by the Waterloo Gas Engine Company of Waterloo, Iowa. It had been sitting in a pine grove for many years and really set-up when I got it.
All three of these engines, along with the others in my collection, are now in good running order. The gas engines are getting difficult to find and still harder to get the owners to part with them; however, I hope some day to have a sizable engine collection.
I am 19 years of age and have been interested in steam engines ever since I could walk. My uncle has a Case 65, 75, and a 36 inch Red River Special Separator. We threshed two full days last fall the way they did years ago. I am greatly interested in restoring portable and traction gas engines. I have restored a great many gas engines but the steam engine has always been my greatest attraction.
For the past two years I have been restoring a 12-20 Rumely, Serial No. 19575. I have not completed it to original as of yet. Shortly before I brought it home it had been robbed of every part. Also, it was seized solid and with the head being removed, made it easier for someone to remove more pieces right down to the studs in the head. The oil and gas tanks, air breather, oil pumps, and radiator had been shot full of holes. After the task of unseizing the engine and finding and making many new parts, I have it running not too bad as I did a half days threshing with it. I have it completely painted to original with the exception of decals