Rebirth Of A Sattley

| May/June 1986

  • 1 HP Sattley

  • 1 HP Sattley

  • 1 HP Sattley
  • 1 HP Sattley

(as translated by his wife, Wendy)3325 N. 65th St. Wausau, WI 54401

On the day I purchased my 1927 1 HP Sattley, I woke up early, for it was a three hour drive to Oshkosh, Wisconsin. I wasn't sleeping much anyway. I was like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.

Upon arrival I surveyed the engines, tentatively deciding on a Fuller & Johnson or maybe a Lauson. As it was, I had come with a limited allowance and got outbid a half dozen times. Then came the Sattley, and I got it! I was so excited that when it came to loading it into the car, I would have picked it up myself. Some good (and sensible) people stopped me and helped load it, probably saving me from serious back strain.

After getting it home, I steam cleaned the engine and noted the paint and striping scheme. Then I completely disassembled the engine. After that, I stripped the old paint and grease with oven cleaner. Please note that oven cleaner attacks brass and babbit, so these areas should be masked.

After inspection, I noted the engine was complete but quite worn. A new oversize piston pin was made and fitted. The valves where shot also, so I installed a set of 354 Perkins diesel exhaust valves. These valves have a slightly larger stem and head. The guides were reamed to fit, the valves ground and the exhaust seat had to be installed.

The governor, located in the cam gear and shaft, was worn badly. All the pivot points were brazed, drilled, and repinned. The EK magneto had a weak spark. After installing a new set of points and condenser, however, the spark was good.


Gas Engine Magazine A_M 16Gas Engine Magazine is your best source for tractor and stationary gas engine information.  Subscribe and connect with more than 23,000 other gas engine collectors and build your knowledge, share your passion and search for parts, in the publication written by and for gas engine enthusiasts! Gas Engine Magazine brings you: restoration stories, company histories, and technical advice. Plus our Flywheel Forum column helps answer your engine inquiries!

Be sure to take advantage of the Square Deal Subscription Program.

  • No Missed Issues.

  • No Renewal Notices.

  • No Additional Cost.

The Square Deal Subscription Program is designed as a paperless transaction with automatic renewals at a preferred low rate.   With advanced electronic notification, a 100% satisfaction guarantee and an easy opt-out plan, the Square Deal Subscription Program is the best value, risk free, eco-friendliest way to subscribe.

Facebook YouTube