Hit-and-Miss Compressor Conversion
6201 Roosevelt Road, Norton, VA 24273
I made this hit-and-miss engine in 1999 from a Brunner air compressor.
The engine parts I used came from 3, 5 and 8 HP Briggs & Stratton engines. I used junk metal where needed. The only parts I bought were the oilers and grease cups. Ignition is a 6-volt battery and coil. I made the carburetor from a brass sink faucet and the gas tank from tubing. The camshaft and governor are from a 5 HP Briggs & Stratton. The hit-and-miss action is good, and I had a lot of fun building it.
The major tools for making the engine were a gas and MIG welder, a drill press, a grinder and a file. There was no machine work involved.
I have a lot of fun taking it to shows, where it's a great attention-getter.