181 Hemmi Rd., Bellingham, Wash. 98225
In spite of early morning rain, the 3rd Annual Threshing Bee of the Puget Sound Antique Tractor & Machinery Assoc. got off to a good start at 11:00 AM when the oats dried off enough to begin threshing.
Billed as the 'largest old tractor and machinery display on the west coast', the show grounds were lined with 60 old gas tractors, including a 1923 Rumely oil pull owned by Marshal Bayes; three steam tractors - a 12 HP Advance, a 25 HP Aultman & Taylor, and a 5 HP Moldenhauer; 50 old gas engines from a 1 HP Maytag owned by young Glen VanLant up to a 16 HP Galloway; eight old threshing machines; binders, reapers, balers, buzz saws, drag saws, and fans.
The last two years the show has been held on land donated by Henry Jansen.
1500 spectators visited the two day show, held August 23 and 24.
New this year was a huge power testing fan. Winning this event was Doug VanLant's 18-28 Oliver Hart Parr tractor. Earning other prizes were Best Restored Gas Engines -1-1/2 HP International and 3 HP Fairbanks Morse by Jake Wiebe of Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada; Best Restored Antique Tractor - 8-16 International by the Postma Brothers; Biggest Display of Gas Engines - John Ball of Burlington, Wash.; Biggest Display of Old Tractors - Maurice Beld and Sons; Coming the Farthest with a Gas Engine Display - John Tucker of Sedro Wooley, Wash.
The crowd also enjoyed slow races, the sack sewing contest, and a half hour at noon of good vocal and guitar music by the Nooksack Gospel Trio. The afternoon parade featured about 70 entries of various old tractors and pieces of farm machinery. Plenty of food was available, served by two local organizations.
Other interesting features were a reaper pulled by a team of horses and an old hand fed thresher owned by John Lang and his father. Altogether, the club threshed about 36 tons of oats.
The hauling of machinery to and from the show done by Denny Schuyleman was appreciated by many members.
The season ended with our annual club banquet for members and wives, held in October.
We are now making plans for the next year's show scheduled for August 22 and 23, 1975, same place - one half mile north of Lynden on the Depot Road.
The goal of the club is to purchase land and build a museum to house this historical farm machinery. We have some '73 and '74 souvenir buttons on sale for 50c each.
The club began in April 1972 with 11 members and presently lists 105 members. Club officers for 1975 are (Pres.) Bill Moldenhauer, (V. Pres.) Chuck Postma, (Sec.) Denny Schuyleman, (Treas.) Ted Jager, (Hist.) Howard Blankenforth, (Publ. Ch.) Jay VanLant.