3012 S. Catherine St. Lansing, Michigan 48911
The compressor had a 2? inch bore and a 2? inch stroke and was headless. I made the base first from scrap steel.
I sawed the end off of the cylinder, then I used a cylinder from a Stewart tire pump and cut it down to fit inside. I made a collar for the top and bottom, and welded them in. That gave me a 5/16 inch space for a water jacket. I used the piston, rod and crankshaft from the tire pump as it had a 17/16 inch bore and a 2? inch stroke. I made new main bearings, rod bearing and wrist pin. The piston and rings were worn out, so I welded the piston and made new rings from a hub from a cast iron wheel. The gears are from a lawn mower. The gas and water tank I made from brass pipe. The 10 inch flywheel was made from an old cast iron wheel. It was over 10 inches, and would not fit in my lathe, so I cut it on my mill. I made a homemade rotary table from scrap that enables me to cut up to 14 inches. I used the head from the tire pump and made my own valves. The governor is made from scrap brass and steel. The pulley is made from an old trolley wheel. The carburetor is an old brass petcock with a needle valve from a lawn mower.
It runs very nice and I hope to have a lot of fun with it at the 1993 shows.