My Special Hercules


| September/October 1998



Engine in an intermediate stage of restoration

The engine in an intermediate stage of restoration.

1425 Kristle Lane Lake Charles, Louisiana 70611

Back in September of 1995 I turned 50 years old. My wife gave me $100 for my birthday. About this time in my life I was really hurting for another engine. I knew full well that $100 wouldn't be nearly enough, but it was a start. The following weekend we visited a few flea markets; that $100 was just burning a hole in my wallet. I didn't spend a dime. On the way home, though, I decided to pay a visit to an engine friend of mine, Bo Hinch. He had an Economy engine that I just coveted. While he was finishing up some work, I wandered around his shop, paying particular attention to the Economy. About that time he came up and we started talking. I asked him point blank what it would take to talk him out of his Economy. He told me that he had a lot invested in it and really didn't want to sell it. He then pointed down to the floor right where we were standing and asked, 'What about this one?' I looked down and there sat a small engine, two flywheels, open crank, appearing to be hit and miss governed. It was so rusty that it blended right in with the floor. He told me he had bought it recently at a garage sale and that for $50 it was mine. Shocked, I misunderstood, thinking that he was telling me what he bought it for. To my delight, he was offering it to me. I thanked him, gave him the cash, loaded the engine up, and was on my way home with money to spare. At this point I really wasn't even sure what I had. I guess this is one of those instances where you might say I was in the right place at the right time.

After unloading the engine in my shop, I discovered that it was a l HP Hercules Type E. It was stuck. The governor gear was missing. The cam gear had a couple of teeth broken off. The governor control arm was broken. The rocker arm for the exhaust valve was broken. The magneto, ignitor, and trip mechanism were all missing. It was in pretty bad shape but certainly restorable. From its serial number I found it was manufactured in 1919.

I blew some of the dirt off of it and cleaned a lot of crud out of the water hopper. I sprayed all of the moving parts I could get to with penetrating oil and poured a little brake fluid down into the cylinder. A couple of hours later, I came back and started working the flywheels. The piston moved slightly. I worked it a little more and the piston moved a little more. I continued working the flywheels until the piston was completely free. It was unstuck.

Over the next few weeks I ordered all of the parts that I thought I would need to get it running. A new cam gear would have cost $75, more than I paid for the engine. Ted Brookover had done some ignitor work for me for another engine I have. In repairing the ignitor he had to weld the cast iron bracket and had to fabricate one part that was missing. So I thought, maybe he can repair the gear. I gave him a call. He said, 'Sure, send it to me.' For $15 he repaired the two teeth that were broken on the cam gear. Once I got all of the parts back and had the engine somewhat cleaned up, I reassembled it.

At this point I wasn't at all sure which ignition system the engine used. So, I ordered a Wico Type EK magneto bracket that is designed for a spark plug ignition with the intention of running the engine off a buzz-coil. I built a wiper mechanism onto the push rod to activate the buzz-coil at the right time. This mechanism, though kind of crude, worked well.