My Homemade Engine

| April/May 1993

  • Homemade Engine

  • Homemade Engine

5971 M 25, Akron, Michigan 48701

I wanted to start from scratch and make an engine. I had a pair of flywheels from a Simplicity 22' and I got the sleeve and piston from a John Deere diesel. I bought some 3/16 inch steel sheet metal, cut it the way I thought it would look the best, welded it together, then got a piece of shaft that would make a crankshaft for the wheels I had.

Now, I have no experience with a lathe. I have a 10 x 36 Atlas lathe that is half worn out and a 3/8 inch end mill which is in the same condition, a drill press, welder, and grinder. I wanted it to be of sideshaft design. For the bevel gears I used some gears from a grain separator and the other gears from the rear of a riding lawn-mower. The governors are from some stock that I had. I made the engine a hit and miss from my own design. The head I made square from a chunk of steel 6' square by 2' thick. Made the valves from 3/8 inch rod and 1 inch shaft. The mixer is from a return elbow and a piece of 1' pipe with a brass needle and seat. The main bearings, are from pillar bearings which I boxed in to look a little like the real thing. The connecting rod was from 1 inch shaft, and the piston was from a diesel, so I cut the top flat and used only two rings instead of three.

There was a balance job to be done. I used a piece of scrap iron with vise grip pliers to find the right spot to balance it out. I made the weight out of a flat piece of strap iron bolted to the inside of one wheel.

Ignition was taken off the sideshaft to an insulated piece on the base. Gas tank was a revised lawnmower tank, and the muffler was made from a floor drain. A T-coil and battery were used for ignition.

With one turn of the wheel it starts, and with one fire will coast up to 64 times before firing again. Its total weight is 260 pounds.


Gas Engine Magazine A_M 16Gas Engine Magazine is your best source for tractor and stationary gas engine information.  Subscribe and connect with more than 23,000 other gas engine collectors and build your knowledge, share your passion and search for parts, in the publication written by and for gas engine enthusiasts! Gas Engine Magazine brings you: restoration stories, company histories, and technical advice. Plus our Flywheel Forum column helps answer your engine inquiries!

Be sure to take advantage of the Square Deal Subscription Program.

  • No Missed Issues.

  • No Renewal Notices.

  • No Additional Cost.

The Square Deal Subscription Program is designed as a paperless transaction with automatic renewals at a preferred low rate.   With advanced electronic notification, a 100% satisfaction guarantee and an easy opt-out plan, the Square Deal Subscription Program is the best value, risk free, eco-friendliest way to subscribe.

Facebook YouTube