LAUSON-LAWTON CO.

DePERE, WISCONSIN


| November/December 1979



Lauson-Lawton Company

Reprinted by permission of Badger Steam and Gas Engine Club, Baraboo, Wisconsin, from its 1979 Yearbook.

As we have done in each of our previous yearbooks, we have again researched and compiled this history of a Wisconsin company. This year we will be sharing what we have found about 'The Wisconsin' engine, built by Lauson-Lawton Company of DePere, Wisconsin. This history will center on the gasoline engine business.

The C. A. Lawton Company was founded in 1879, just 100 years ago. They were basically a foundry and machine company, building a variety of machines needed at that time.

In 1908 the Lauson-Lawton Company was formed when Robert H. Lauson joined Mr. Lawton and they started building gasoline engines. The Lauson-Lawton Company, and the C. A. Lawton Company were two separate companies-both with the same address. Mr. Lauson was the Sec-Treas.; C. A. Lawton was President; and Edward W. Lawton was the Vice-President of the Lauson-Lawton Company. However, Mr. Lauson was not an officer of the C. A. Lawton Company.

The Lauson-Lawton Company built less than 10,000 engines in their 10 years of building them; they built engines until 1917. After 1917 the Lauson-Lawton Company was in business, but they were dealers for different items such as light plants, water systems, etc. Since the production records are no longer available, the exact number of engines built cannot be known, or can the engines be dated.

All Wisconsin engines are of the side-shaft type. One very interesting fact about 'The Wisconsin' engines is that the hole which goes through the base of their engines, right behind the cylinder, is to enable one to remove the wrist pin, or piston pin, without removing the piston from the cylinder. The pin can be slid out of the piston and through this hole.

roger cummons
5/2/2009 9:49:36 PM

Need help with age of edger. It was made by The Lauson Company and has model # 55a-410 with sn-5109644. It is really unique.