The Janney Manufacturing Company originated the steel frame corn planters, and they were built with check rowing attachment, drilling, hand dropping, foot dropping and an automatic reel attachment. These features were great improvements for corn planting.
1408 N. Van Buren, Ottumwa, Iowa 52501
The Janney Mfg. Company was first incorporated August 1, 1889 with G. Campbell Janney, president, M. H. Janney vice president and treasurer, and R. Janney, secretary.
Their line included the Janney Common Sense Corn Husker and Fodder Shredder, the Janney Common Sense Corn Planter in twenty three different kinds, styles and varieties, and the Janney Common Sense Triple Gear Feed Mill, a line of goods especially designed and built for handling the corn crop in the greatest corn state in the Union.
The Janney Common Sense Corn Husker and Fodder Shredder, which was hand fed, had a patented safety device included to stop the machine instantly. This machine was made almost entirely of steel, malleable and gray iron.
The Janney Common Sense triple-geared grinding mill, with two horses, was warranted to grind as much corn as any mill manufactured. One bushel of dry corn could be ground in three and a half minutes.
Their manufacturing plant was located at the corner of Ash and Main Streets in Ottumwa. This plant included a foundry, machine shop, blacksmith shop, paint shop and an erecting shop. It was interesting to see the pig iron go into the foundry and the lumber into the wood working shop in the rough state and come out a finely finished product. The American Mining Tool Company was located at the same address at the corner of Ash and Main Streets.
The Janney Mfg. Company incorporation was amended Dec. 24, 1902 with G. Campbell Janney president and J. M. Marley secretary. The 1905-06 Ottumwa city directory lists the Janney Mfg. Company with Joseph Dain as receiver. This would indicate that the Dain Hay Tool Plant took over the Janney operation. The Janney Mfg. Company was not listed in the 1907-08 city directory but, the 1908-09 directory lists G. Campbell Janney as president of the Ottumwa Pad and Blanket Company at 309 E. 5th Street which was Mr. Janney's home address.