Hercules Engine News

Jaeger Machine Co.


| November/December 2003



Jaeger-branded Hercules

The Jaeger Machine Co. of Columbus, Ohio, began using blue-painted Hercules engines on their concrete mixers in 1920. Prior to 1920, Jaeger used at least one other supplier, most often the Waterloo Gas Engine Co. of Waterloo, Iowa. These engines were painted red and used the typical Jaeger logo.

The first Hercules-built engine used by Jaeger was the 1 -1/2 HP Model E, which was identical - except in color - to the Economy brand sold at that time by Sears, Roebuck & Co. The subsequent introduction of the Model F with the improved Webster 1A magneto in late 1921 updated the engine's main casting to the same one used on the restyled Economy brand engine.

Also found on the Model F and later models was a little brace added to steady the oiler pipe and to reinforce it during transport (Photo #1).

Beginning on March 1, 1923, Jaeger Model FW engines came equipped with the Wico EK magneto. For an unknown reason, engines between serial numbers 300,000 and 303,000 were equipped with a spark plug in the head. Although provisions were made in the casting for the fuel spout to protrude from the off side, a hole was drilled on the ignition side to provide for the location of the fuel filler there (Photo #2 and #3).

The typical oval Jaeger tag added at the Hercules factory can be seen on the engine base in Photo #3. Mixer data such as size, configuration and mixer serial number was attached at the Jaeger factory. Quite often, a Hercules decal was added to the front of the water hopper, and a Jaeger decal appeared on one side of the hopper. These engines used a one-piece side rod bracket, but no patent date can be found on the trip finger holder and the spark plug wasn't positioned in its normal place.

Photo #1: 2 HP Jaeger-branded Hercules, serial no. 291491, with Webster 1A magneto. Note the brace added to steady the oiler pipe where it passes through the hopper.