Reports on the Gas Engine and Steam Engineers Reunions

The latest reports on the gas engine and steam engineers reunions. The Pioneer Gas Engine Association meeting was in a new location and the Florida Gas And Steam Engineers Club was held at their permanent location at the Sarasota-Bradenton Speedway.


| November/December 1966



F. 12 I.H.C. Tractor

Photo courtesy of Joe Priesgen, Hubertus, Wisconsin.

PHOTO: JOE PRIESGEN

Learn about the reports on the gas engine and steam engineers reunions. 

Gas Engine and Steam Engineers Reunions: Pioneer Gas Engine Association, Inc. Club Meeting Held

The 1966 Reunion of the Pioneer Gas Engine Association, Inc. was held at Fairville, N.Y. on July 29, 30 and 31st. This was a new location; on the carnival grounds owned by our vice-president, Franklin Orbaker. Everyone seemed to like the new location. The weather was good. The days were fairly hot and the nights were cool.

There were 33 gasoline tractors and one Baker Steam traction engine. Some of the ones which were new to our show were a 10-20 three wheel Case, a 10-20 Titan, a 22-44 cross motor Case road roller, a 1937 W K-40 International, a 1935 25-45 Massey Harris and a Farmall F-12. These were all shown off proudly by their owners in the daily parades and in operating the allied equipment and the Baker Fan.

We had 36 pieces of allied equipment. The sawmill was an American No. 2 friction feed owned by Franklin Orbaker. Before the show it was set up on cement piers, so it was sturdily anchored. The 22 foot Case threshing machine, owned by Abram Johnson of Marion, threshed the wheat and rye. There was also a 22 foot Advance Rumley Ideal thresher owned by David Shearns of Marion on display. Straw was baled by the club owned Case stationary baler.

The Association owned stone crusher sure made the tractors work and was a big attraction. A Director, Milton Skinner of Geneva, made shingles with his International shingle mill. Also on display was a hand feed Ford shingle mill owned by another Director, George Knab of Spencerport. There were at least three drag saws.

Most of the 155 gasoline engines were in running condition. Most of them were fully restored and painted. There is a small pond on the grounds, and several water pumps were kept busy filling the water tanks used to sprinkle the grounds. One of the most unusual engines was a 1917 6 hp Jones oil engine owned by Howard Scheer of Fairville.