Route 2, Box 164, Cato, Wisconsin 54206.
The following story is reprinted from the Feb. 1, 1986 issue of the Manitowoc-Two Rivers, Wisconsin Herald-Times-Reporter with permission.
A 30,000 pound, 11? foot long Model E6 Kahlenberg diesel engine was placed inside the new maritime museum being constructed on Maritime Drive on Thursday. The engine was donated to the museum in 1985 by the Kahlenberg Brothers Company in Two Rivers, and was used in the river towboat Sandra Marie. The engine will be the centerpiece of the marine technology exhibit in the new museum.
This type of heavy duty diesel engine was manufactured by Kahlenberg Brothers in the 1950s and early 1960s. Three Model E 6 engines are still in service.
Two of the engines are outfitted in the Ranger III, which operates between Houghton, Michigan, and Isle Royale in Lake Superior for the National Park Service. The other Kahlenberg E 6 engine is outfitted in the former tug Green Bay, which once operated in the Manitowoc area. The tug was modernized and repowered with the Kahlenberg Engine at Manitowoc Shipbuilding in 1957-58.
William and Otto Kahlenberg started a steam engine business in Two Rivers in 1895. Three years later the Kahlenberg brothers became pioneer builders of marine internal combustion engines. In the early 1900s they brought into the partnership their brother, John L. Kahlenberg. Kahlenberg engines contributed immensely to the development of the commercial fishing industry on the Great Lakes, and were outfitted in fishing boats, tugboats, small freighters, and pleasure boats. They were marketed around the world and became famous for their dependability and durability.
Kahlenberg Model E engines were the first self-sustaining turbo-charged, two-cycle diesel engines in their size category. This meant that the engine started and operated without the assistance of a scavenge pump, blower, or any other device to provide crankcase pressure without which no two-cycle engine can run. The scavenging and charging air was supplied by an exhaust turbine blower. This design made the Model E 6 engine more efficient and powerful.
Kahlenberg Brothers built its last engine in 1964. At the present time it constructs stainless steel propellers, airhorns, and other marine equipment such as automatic fog signals and signal timers.