Manufacturer: George Green, Lambertville, N.J.
Year: circa 1902
This engine was designed and built by George Green of Lambertville, N.J., some time shortly after the turn of the 20th century.
In September 2003, it was extracted from a foundation in the former machine shop and home of George Marshall in Frenchtown, N.J. Marshall was an employee of Green's while simultaneously operating his own small shop at his home. This engine was purchased from the estate of Stanford and Judith Roach, subsequent owners of the Marshall home and shop, which they acquired from Marshall's widow around 1959.
Evidently Marshall acquired the engine from Green and used it to run the line shaft in his shop. It is probable Marshall worked on the engines Green designed and built in the Lambertville shop while employed there.
Green wrote an article published in the first Gas Engine Magazine in 1966 (to see this article, visit www.GasEngineMagazine.com) where he outlined the progression of his business and interest in gas engines, as well as curved-dash Oldsmobiles. One could deduce by examining his engines that Green had an outstanding mechanical mind for design and possessed the rare ability to also transform those thoughts into beautifully built mechanical devices using his own hands. It is possible this 6 HP engine is the only remaining engine of that size he built. At least one, 1 HP engine of similar design (and referenced in Green's 1966 writings) is owned by Whitey Forman, Youngstown, Pa.
Contact the Coolspring Power Museum at: P.O. Box 19, Coolspring, PA 15730; (814) 849-6883; firstname.lastname@example.org; www.coolspringpowermuseum.org