Miller Gas Engine Co.,
Year: circa 1910
This 300 HP Miller was originally installed in the Spring Creek compressor plant of the Northern Oil Co., near Kane, Pa., in 1913.
It was used to belt drive a huge Ingersoll-Rand air compressor to operate the old steam engines that pumped crude oil from the wells surrounding the plant.
The engine, no. 1326, is a quad-opposed style in the "H" design. Bore and stroke is 17-1/2-by-22 inches. This engine weighs in at a healthy 70,000 pounds. To our knowledge, it is the only Miller of this design to have survived and perhaps the only quad-opposed from any manufacturer to be running in this country.
In 1976, compressor failure caused cessation of the engine's operation after 63 years. At that time it was moved to Coolspring by John Wilcox and Paul Harvey to await its recent restoration and operation.
It is now the centerpiece of the museum's Nate Lillibridge Station, where three Miller engines are on display. This Miller engine is part of the museum's permanent collection.
Contact the Coolspring Power Museum at: P.O. Box 19, Coolspring, PA 15730; (814) 849-6883; email@example.com www.coolspringpowermuseum.org