BRIGGS AND STRATTON

NEWS LETTER April - May 1960


| March/April 1969



FAIRBANKS - MORSE ENGINES

Courtesy of Ruben Michelson, Anamoose, N. Dak. 58710

Ruben Michelson

RESEARCH and ENGINEERING PAY OFF IN LEADERSHIP

Forty Years of Progress Reflected in Current Models

Throughout the years Briggs and Stratton has maintained its leadership in the industry through advanced engineering and the pioneering of single, 4-cycle, gasoline power.

Starting in 1919 Briggs and Stratton promoted the 'Motorwheel,' considered at the time as a god-send to bike riders. Thousands of these sturdy units were sold and furnished economical transportation to owners everywhere.

Next followed the 'Flyer' or buck-board and then the scooter. Old timers will well remember the 'Flyer' as its owners were the envy of all the kids in the neighborhood. The engines used on these units proved their stamina and the name Briggs and Stratton became known the world over.

In 1920 the company produced the Model 'P', one of the first compact, single-cylinder, 4-cycle, air cooled engines ever designed for industrial use. (Parts are available to take care 6f those still in use.) This and other early models were the first used to power washing machines, lawn mowers, and later many other applications for farm, railroad maintenance and construction equipment.

During the years, constant research and field testing further enhanced Briggs and Stratton's reputation for outstanding design developments. For example, the patented Magnematic Ignition System developed by its engineers, now standard on several models, is one of the greatest achievements in the small engine industry.

Oats to be threshed at Branch 3 show. August 24-25 at Buda, Illinois. They had around 3000 paid attendance.