On the cover this month is a photo of a Backus engine, which belongs to George Costantini of 8 Linden Avenue, Bordentown, New Jersey, who writes:
'The engine was patented June 12, 1894, serial # 2179. It has a fuel pump to fill the carburetor and a secondary pump to inject the gas at the intake stroke. There are three valves and one gas intake, and two exhaust. One exhaust valve rod operated, and the other valve opens with the exhaust flow.
'It is a 3 HP engine and weighs 1300 pounds. It also has an inertia governor and a round connecting rod. The little hand wheel is to release the pump lever from the shaft so the pump can be used to prime the carb by hand.
George also sent a picture of a plow he has for which he needs to find out if there is a connection to the Ford Motor Corp. and what this type of plow was used for.
'It is marked in raised letters on the casting:
W.P. + T. H. FORD PAT 1859