A 1908 6 HP Hit-and-Miss
Wayne Halsey's 6 HP Hippe-Steiner, built around 1908. He knows of only 28 still in existence.
In June, 1908, a partnership was formed between Robert Hippe and Henry Steiner to build engines in Chilton, Wise.
The first engines were built in 2-, 4, and 6 HP sizes. These engines were rather unusual in that the cylinder head was cast in one piece with the cylinder. The valves are in an 'F' arrangement. The exhaust valve is about 21 inches long, coming back to an adjusting screw on a lever. This lever is on a shaft that goes through the base to the other side to another lever with a roller running on the exhaust cam. The governor is on one flywheel with a linkage by the exhaust valve adjusting screw. A separate cam runs the igniter continuously.
The battery is grounded through a grounding switch on the exhaust lever to stop the igniter from using current when the engine is coasting.
This engine has a 6--inch bore, 8-inch stroke, 36-inch flywheels, 350 RPM, but no serial number. 1 bought this engine at an auction in 1975. It was complete and on original trucks, but not running.
About 1912 Robert Hippe sold out to Henry Steiner and left the company. The company name was changed to the H. A. Steiner Manufacturing Co. and the engines produced became known as the H. A. S. These engines were produced in sizes 3 HP to 16 HP and some had high-tension ignition (spark plug and buzz coil). The engines were a dark green, but were different mechanically.
About 1915 the company moved to Plymouth, Wise, and the name of the engine was changed to The Steiner Long Life. At this time, a 1- HP engine was added to the line. However, before 1920 they went out of business. We believe they produced about 3,000 engines in 12 years. I know of 28 of these Hippe-Steiner engines left in existence.
Contact engine enthusiast Wayne Halsey at 541 Wisconsin Avenue, North Fond Du Lac, WI 54937