WASHINGTON COUNTY EXHIBITION


| January/February 1979



 R. D. 2, #93, Claysville, Pennsylvania 15323

On June 6, 1977, a group of collectors held a meeting to discuss the forming of a club which would sponsor an annual exhibition that would demonstrate to the public, the antique equipment and the manner in which they were used. Since 1977 the club has grown from the original nine members, and now has a membership of 118. The members have worked hard and on June 24 and 25, 1978, the Washington County Antique Engines and Collectors Association, held its first annual exhibition at the fairgrounds, West Alexander, Pennsylvania.

Beginning Saturday, the show opened with 118 gas engines, several tractors and a few antique autos, but as the day went by more and more exhibits kept coming in. The day was beautiful! The skies were clear and blue and everything went smoothly. The members of the club all took turns at the gate greeting everyone that came to the show. That evening the members, campers and even the security guards joined in a bon fire. Everyone sat around the fire, roasting hot dogs and eating 'mountain pies', which was a first for me.....! It was 1 a.m. before everyone quieted down for the night.

Sunday was opened with services offered by a visiting minister from the Cumberland Gap area. This got everyone off to a good start for the day. By noon there were 180 gas engines present. Some of the rarest engines were: 13 HP Domestic, 2 cylinder; 12 HP Witte diesel electric; Sandow 1? HP, 2 cycle upright; Standard Scale & Supply (S.S.S.) 1? HP upright; Bovard-Sofang 4 HP upright; Freeport (Stover) 4 HP upright; Reid 5 HP and a C.H.E. These, along with the more common models, all made for a terrific show!

Antique automobiles were present with a variety of 21 types to choose from. Two major surprises of the day included the 1899 Schacht, owned by Fred McCoy of Blacksville, West Virginia, claiming the title of the oldest antique auto in all of West Virginia. The second surprise was a 1928 Model A Ford Pickup. Now this was something to see all right, but the car was driven from Phoenix, Arizona. Needless to say, the owner, Al Coffield, was awarded an honorary membership as a prize for the exhibitor that traveled the farthest.

Speaking of 1928's. Also present was the 1928 Model A Ford 4-door sedan, owned by Carl and Donna Chadwick of Washington, Pennsylvania. This was the second place winner at the 1977 National Meet, held at Hershey, PA.