Claysville, Pennsylvania 15323
In spite of the gas crunch and the out-of-the-ordinary weather, the Washington County Antique Engines and Collectors Association 2nd Annual Exhibition was termed a success. Credit must be given to the members.
Opening exercises and a Sunday worship service were provided by Rev. John Nith from the Cumberland Gap area.
With the engines all gassed up and ready to go, the show began! Everywhere you looked all you could see and hear was the pop and bang of the intake and the exhaust. As the crowd began to grow, so did the enthusiasm. Spectators were treated to demonstrations of blacksmithing and a rather crude example of rope making. A shingle mill and quarter-scale model Farquhar sawmill provided everyone with souvenirs of their work. While mom and dad were busy watching the demonstrations, the kids greeted 'Big Bird' with smiles and giggles. They were treated to some candy and gifts and then quickly ran to catch the next ride on the horse-drawn wagon and surry.
After the ride, the children collected their parents and made their way to the two tee-pees displayed by the Buffalo Creek 'Coureaur De Boir' (french: backwoodsman). The group prides themselves on originality. Completely attired in their handmade buck skins, the members demonstrate the forgotten lifestyles of the mountain man. They dined on rabbit, venison and wild boar that was cooked over an open fire. They slept on the ground and inside the tee-pee. Some fine examples of muzzle loading and tomahawk and knife throwing left the spectators in awe!
Another distinctive feature of this particular show is the Saturday night weiner roast for exhibitors. All gathered around a bonfire roasting hot dogs and eating homemade ice cream. A country band was also on hand to brighten up festivities.
Our Sunday parade included such items as 1899 Schacht automobile owned by Fred McCoy, Blocksville, West Virginia and proudly titled 'oldest car in West Virginia.' It was manufactured November 1898, Cincinnati, Ohio. Only 15 others are known to be in circulation. The engine is situated in the rear and is a 2 cylinder opposed, gasoline powered engine, approximately 10 HP. It is an open carriage very similar in appearance to the popular 'doctor's buggy!'
There was also a beautifully restored 1909 International motorized surrey owned by John Wise, Claysville, Pennsylvania. This automobile also is of a limited production and has just returned from the national car show in Wooster, Ohio, where it had won first place.
Also featured in the parade were 4 model A Fords; 1941 Plymouth sedan; 1949 Chevy sedan; 1950 Jeepster; 1953 Buick; 1946 Dodge one-ton truck and three fire trucks (the oldest of which is a 1946 Dodge that belongs to the Taylorstown Fire Department-the original fire truck that aided Taylorstown residents in a time of need!).
Tractors were represented by 1937 F-12 Farmall with steel wheels; F-20 and F-30 Farmall; WC Allis Chalmers; 1936 Case; 1944 model L and LA John Deeres and 8-16 International with steel wheels.
Model engines were represented by both steam and gasoline. Most people don't realize the amount of time and hard work involved in these engines. All we get to see is the beautifully-finished product which is one of the better features of our show.
At our show, there was something for everyone!