THE ENGINE SHOW at the Old Stone House Museum

| March/April 1994

Museum Building

The museum building.

P.O. Box 6 Wilmington, Vermont 05363

The eighth annual engine show at the Old Stone House Museum, Brown-ington, Vermont, sponsored by the Vermont Gas & Steam Engine Association, was held as usual on the third weekend of June, the 19th & 20th, 1993.

This relatively small show has grown so much that a new field was used this year. The old area, next to the museum, was devoted to the flea market.

There were 53 exhibitors, primarily coming from Vermont, New Hampshire and Quebec, Canada.

Although small, the show is one of the most friendly. No-hookup camping is provided. On Saturday night, country music is provided around a campfire by Floyd Brown and Ozzie Plomb of Island Pond, Vermont, with refreshments furnished by Reed Cherrington, the museum director. All registered exhibitors receive passes for guided tours of the museum.

The building presently housing the Old Stone House Museum was begun in 1834, and completed in 1836, by the Reverend Alexander Twilight. Twilight was the principal of the former Orleans County Grammar School, the only school of secondary education in the area at the time. The Old Stone House was built to be used as a dormitory for the students attending the school. It was named 'Athenian Hall.' The Reverend Twilight was also the pastor of the nearby Congregational Church. He is buried in the cemetery beside the church.