The CANFIELD FAIR


| April/May 1993



1913 Rumely Oil Pull

1913 Rumely Oil Pull 15-30 exhibited by owner Kenneth Blaho of New Galilee, Pa.

2337 SR 45 S., Salem, Ohio 44460-9456

An annual event famous throughout eastern Ohio and western Pennsylvania, the Mahoning County Agricultural Exposition is better known as the Canfield Fair as it is held at the fairgrounds on the southern edge of Can-field, Ohio. The fair always runs through Labor Day, beginning the Thursday before, and 1992 marked the 146th edition of the popular event.

A major attraction of the fair is the Antique Farm Equipment Pageant which celebrated its 30th anniversary in 1992. The pageant was conceived in 1962 at a meeting between Fair Board Director Homer Schaeffer, and two members of the Tri-State Historical Steam Engine Association from near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. These men, Paul F. Crow and C. R. Fullerton proposed to sponsor an antique farm equipment exhibit at the fair.

At the first show in 1963, Glen Fullerton displayed two steam engines and a threshing machine. Paul Crow brought a steam engine and power hay press, M. D. Fullerton a steam engine, and Frank Gormley another separator. Mr. Lewton exhibited a steam engine, while Mr. Cowen and Mr. Cron had a horse powered hay press. Everett Hartley hauled water for the engines with a team of horses and Dean Redd helped out where needed.

Of the original exhibitors, three are still active. They are Glen Fullerton of Florence, Pennsylvania, Dean Redd of Charleroi, Pennsylvania, and Everett Hartley of North Lima, Ohio. John Sell of Salem, Ohio, was one of the original group and the Sell family still exhibits his Frick traction engine and Banting Greyhound separator. The Sells represent four generations of involvement with the Antique Farm Equipment Pageant.

Three separators were used at the 1992 Pageant. A wood Aultman-Taylor machine owned by the Mike Duran family of Bulger, Pennsylvania, sported the 'starving rooster' logo which claimed that the machine didn't waste enough grain to feed a rooster. The other large thresher was an all steel Banting Greyhound machine, built in Toledo, Ohio, and owned by the Sell family. These two threshing machines were powered by a variety of steam traction engines and gas tractors during the five day event.