Junkyard In Cordova

| October/November 1998

  • Allis Chalmers WC

  • Allis Chalmers WC

  • Allis Chalmers WC
  • Allis Chalmers WC

Box 1249 Valdez, Alaska99686-1249

I thought readers would enjoy these before and after pictures of my Allis Chalmers WC, serial number 128190. I belong to the Antique Power Club of Alaska, Branch 52 of the EDGE&TA.

It all started one day when my wife called me from work and told me one of her friends had just inherited a junk yard in Cordova, Alaska, which is about fifty miles from Valdez. I have restored several antique engines so this aroused my interest, thinking there might be some old iron over there. The only problem, the only way to get to Cordova is by boat or plane. There are no roads.

We ended up flying over a few days later. We landed at the Mud Hole Smith Airport and the gal met us and drove us to the junk yard. The yard is unbelievable. The old boy who had owned it had been collecting stuff for 30 to 40 years. Unfortunately there were no old engines. When we finished looking, the gal asked us if we had seen 'The Tractor.' We had missed it, so we followed her through the woods for about a half mile and there it was, or I should say, what was left of it. The before picture I sent is the one I took that day. It was in pretty bad shape. The tractor had been sitting there in the same spot in the rain forest for 25 years. The rust was literally dripping off it. I identified it as a WC by the serial number. At the time I decided it was too much of a basket case to restore. We thanked the gal for showing us around and flew back to Valdez. Out of curiosity I looked the serial number up in a tractor book I have and found out that particular tractor was built in 1944. They listed some with a stamped steel rearend and some with a cast rearend. Mine has the cast rearend. A few days later I found myself thinking about the tractor and what it would take to get it to Valdez. I decided if I could get it to Valdez, it would make a good winter project. With 30 feet of snow in the winter, it might keep me from getting cabin fever. I flew back over a week later with some friends to help me get the tractor out of the woods. We had about one-half mile to drag the tractor onto a dirt road. It sat in 100 ft. fir trees with a lot of brush around it. The gal at the junk yard told us we could not cut any trees. Fortunately the two rear tires still had air and calcium in them and one of the front tires still had air. By using a come-along and a lot of rope, we managed to pull the tractor around the trees to a dirt road, where we towed it around into the junk yard. It took us four hours to extract the tractor from the trees. The engine was stuck, so I took time to drop the pan, and discovered two bent rods and a broken sleeve. Someone in the past had tried to start the tractor by pulling it. It looked like two of the pistons had freed up and two had stayed frozen.

My next task was getting the tractor from Cordova to Valdez. I found out from the Ferry System that I could tow a vehicle onto the ferry, as long as I met the ferry when it docked in Valdez to tow it off. I negotiated a price with a man at the junk yard to tow the tractor to the ferry. We then returned to Valdez to wait for the jewel to arrive. It arrived at midnight a week later. I got a lot of laughs from the ferry crew as we were towing the tractor off the ferry. I told them to give me a year and I would drive it back onto the ferry.

I probably could have won some bets. The first thing I did was remove the engine and disassemble it. The next step was finding parts. Through GEM I found a source for pistons and sleeve sets. It also had a bent cam shaft and bent rocker arm shaft, along with some bent lifters. After I found all the parts I needed, I took the engine to an engine shop in Anchorage and had the block checked for cracks, a valve job with all new valves, guides and springs. They assembled everything for me except the pan and cam. I finished the assembly in Valdez. After four months the engine was done and ready to run.

Now came the rest of the tractor. The rest of the tractor was completely disassembled down to the last nut and bolt. Every part was either bead blasted or sandblasted to bare metal, primed, and painted Persian orange. All seals, packings and gaskets were replaced. Any bearing or bushing that showed any sign of wear or damage was replaced. The transmission and rearend, along with all the other gear boxes, were disassembled and cleaned, any worn part was replaced and reassembled. Most of the parts were obtained through the AGCO dealer in Walla Walla, Washington, Story Tractor in Tennessee, and Matt Simpson in Hot Springs, Arkansas. It took 15 months to restore. Most of that time was spent waiting on parts. I set up the engine by the book and it started on the fourth crank (I didn't have a six volt battery). If this tractor had been down south, it probably would have never been restored. It probably would have been parted out. There aren't too many tractors up here so you take what you can get. Plus it let me add a tractor to my engine collection.

I'm planning on having it in the local parades this summer and have it in a few of the shows the club puts on this year.


Gas Engine Magazine A_M 16Gas Engine Magazine is your best source for tractor and stationary gas engine information.  Subscribe and connect with more than 23,000 other gas engine collectors and build your knowledge, share your passion and search for parts, in the publication written by and for gas engine enthusiasts! Gas Engine Magazine brings you: restoration stories, company histories, and technical advice. Plus our Flywheel Forum column helps answer your engine inquiries!

Facebook YouTube


click me