Box 356, Lewisburg, West Virginia 24901
On July 22, 1978, the Williamsburg Fire Company sponsored their annual steam and gas engine show and steam threshing demonstration, held this year at the Mountaineer Farm in Williamsburg, West Virginia.
The show got underway at 10:00 A.M. with the cranking of 'Doc' Graffam's 10 HP Bessemer engine followed by the starting of all the other engines down to the smallest a Nelson Brothers which was owned by Fred Crews of Arborvale. The favorite engine of many of the old timer spectators at the show was a restored 7? HP Galloway owned by Dave Whitt. Several could easily recall this engine's working days from the time it was shipped to this area in 1912. Robert, Landon, and Everette Berkley had several good running engines on display including a nice flutedhopper Aeromotor. The most novel engine was a CH & E owned by Charles Lewis of LeTart, West Virginia. John Dunn had an engine which he was trying to determine if it was an Economy, Arco, a Jaegar or Hercules. It was about 1? HP.
Jim Thomas, a local miller, was in charge of Dave Whitt's cornmeal burr mill, and Tim and Dennis Maloney staged a rock crushing demonstration. Dean Cockerham, in addition to his engine and tractor displays, was in charge of the threshing show.
In the afternoon, Jim Nickell's large Case traction engine provided the power for the steam threshing demonstration, belted to Grover Dixon's Red River Special. Charlie Parker used his restored F20 to power his Geiser wooden separator in another excellent display of the old threshing art. The fire department's 1930 John Deere hay press was used to bale the gigantic straw pile. The spectators appeared to enjoy the baling demonstration as much as the threshing show.
Perry Charlton used his traction engine to give the kids of all ages a ride around the show grounds. Bob Harvey also had a nice Frick engine on display. The spectators were also treated to an excellent gathering of antique automobiles shown by the members of the Greenbrier Valley Antique Car Club. A brass plaque and button was given to all exhibitors in appreciation of their efforts in making the show a success.
The Fire Department has tentatively set the date for the 1979 show for July 21.