Aug. 3-4, 2002, saw the Dodge County Antique Power Club presenting its 34th annual show at its permanent home near the village of Burnett, Wis. The 2002 show featured tractors and machinery made by Cockshutt Farm Equipment Co., Brantford, Ontario Canada, and gas engines made by Fuller & Johnson Manufacturing Co., Madison, Wis., a combination that produced great participation from owners, exhibitors and flea marketers alike, with attendees responding in kind.
Fuller & Johnson Engines
When Fuller & Johnson was proposed as our gas engine feature we were fairly confident it would be a successful feature. After all, Fuller & Johnson engines were built just 50 miles away in Madison, Wis. There are a number of Fuller & Johnson collectors in the area, and quite a few collectors have one or more Fuller & Johnsons in their collections. We weren't disappointed - 35 exhibitors brought approximately 60 Fuller & Johnson items.
Verne Kindschi, Prairie de Sac, Wis., brought his 1914 Model DE 20 HP engine, several models and some of his collection of Fuller & Johnson material. He had production and serial number records, signs and even tools from the factory. Verne and his wife, Pearly, displayed some original Fuller & Johnson factory records, recorded and stored in large old ledger books. They even brought the whistle that once stood atop the Fuller & Johnson factory. Verne, author of The Fuller & Johnson Story and The Fuller & Johnson Story II, is probably the foremost authority on Fuller & Johnson.
Verne Kindschi with his 1914 20 HP Fuller & Johnson Model DE. Introduced in 1905, there were two styles of DE (Double Efficiency) engines, a 'smaller type' and a 'larger type,' The larger type was the only sideshaft engine F&J built.
Harlan Hjermstad came all the way from Kenyon, Minn., with four engines, including a rare 3 HP oil-cooled and a 2-1/2 HP vertical hopper-cooled engine. Don Winkler, Mew Holstein, Wis., displayed a beautifully restored 3 HP oil-cooled engine, and Bill Riddle, Poynette, Wis., brought a 10 HP Model IN.
Dennis Genger, Hartford, Wis., showed four engines, ranging from 1-1/2 HP to 7 HP, and Walter Thomas, also from Hartford, enjoyed running his rare vertical two-cylinder, hopper-cooled 5-8 HP engine. Herb Miller, Waunakee, Wis., brought an equally rare 1928 two-cylinder, radiator-cooled Model LAM. All told, it was a nice selection of Fuller & Johnson engines ranging from the rare to the relatively common.
Cockshutt tractors were never a big selling brand in Wisconsin, but they did show up in pockets where there happened to be a strong dealer. CO-OP tractors and equipment built by Cockshutt are more widespread in this part of the country, but even CO-OP equipment isn't plentiful. Even so, Cockshutt collectors are a loyal bunch, and thanks to a lot of hard work by club members promoting the show and hauling equipment, 24 exhibitors brought some 50 items for the feature. These were mostly tractors, but there were several implements mixed in, as well.
Don Winkler's rare and beautifully restored oil-cooled 3 HP Fuller & Johnson. It's estimated that fewer than 1,500 of this style were built between 1903 and 1908.
Wayne Bubolz and his son Curt, Juneau, Wis., brought six Cockshutt tractors, including a Model 30, a Model 40, a Model 550 and a CO-OP E3. Calvin Becker, Iron Ridge, Wis., brought five; and Neal and Thomas Zastrow, Lebanon, Wis., brought in seven tractors. Phillip Hansen displayed a 1950Model 20 deluxe and a 1947 Oliver-built Model 60 standard. Ralph Wiedmeyer brought a 1947 CO-OP E3 and a 1951 E4. Russ and Denise Sponem, Jefferson, Wis., displayed Denise's 1952 Model 20, a plow and Cockshutt memorabilia. Robert Zimmerly, Pleasant Prairie, Wis., displayed his impressive Model 40 deluxe Wheatland. All in all a very nice turn-out for what is definitely a minority brand.
Ken Witt (standing on trailer) with his 3 HP Fuller & Johnson Model NA. About 1,000 NAs were built between 1922 and 1925.
Robert Zimmerly's Cockshutt Model 40 Deluxe Wheatland. The Model 40 was introduced in 1949 and production ended in 1958.
In 1945 Cockshutt entered into a marketing agreement with the Gambles Store chain to sell Cockshutt tractors. This 1948 Gambles Farmcrest 30, probably one of the last ones built, belongs to Chuck Boese.
In 1930 Cockshutt contracted with Oliver Hart-Parr to supply tractors. The Cockshutt Model 60 was the last Oliver tractor added to the line before Cockshutt began building its own machines in 1947. This fine example belongs to Phillip Mansen.
The antique power club sold raffle tickets, eventually giving away a Cockshutt Model 30 with wide-front end, a Fuller & Johnson Model NC 2 HP engine and a Cockshutt pedal tractor.
The wheels are in motion as planning for the 2003 show gets under way. Scheduled for Aug. 2-3, 2003, the Dodge County Antique Power Club's 35th Annual Show will feature Massey-Harris and Massey Ferguson tractors and equipment. The gas engine feature will be Sears Economy engines, and along with the gas engine feature we'll include Sears Economy tractors, Graham Bradley tractors and also David Bradley garden tractors and implements, all Sears products.
Contact engine enthusiast Glenn Oestreich at: 1310 S. 9th St., Watertown, Wl 53094, (920) 261-7235.