Cooke County Antique Machinery Show

SHOW NEWS


| March/April 1988



Spectators walking and checking everything over

Star Rt. Box 12, Gainesville, TX 76240.

The 1935 Ford pickup is owned by the Furthman brothers of Myra, Texas. The 28 x 47 Case separator is the property of Don and E. J. Schad of Lindsay, Texas. The scene is Cooke County, Texas site of a show by a club formed in 1986.

In early April of 1986 a number of ! farmers and other antique enthusiasts in the Cooke County area got together to form a machinery club and organize an antique show for the north Texas area.

A number of us had been attending shows for years and thought we had the general guidelines for putting on a good show, so we gave it a shot on September 14, 1986. Because we had good attendance and about 400 spectators for our first threshing show we decided to do it again and on August 29th and 30th of 1987, we held our second annual machinery show.

At about 7 A.M. Saturday, August the 29th, our exhibitors started getting ready. Wilbur DeBorde was busy firing the Case 60 horsepower steam engine while countless other exhibitors were preparing for the day. Don and Ed Schad Jr. were busy leveling and positioning their Case 28 by 47 separator. Other members were placing numbers and taking information on machines to be exhibited and paraded. Some eighty tractors and countless other machines ranging in years from a 1905 Eagle Hay Press owned by Doug Martin and Leon Knauf to a huge 30-60 Aultman Taylor owned by Doc Swalwell of Dallas, Texas.

The small tractor pull arena became a stir of curiosity by 10 o'clock that morning with exhibitors and spectators walking and checking everything over. Approximately fifty small engines of the hit and miss variety were present and truly amazed many people who had never seen an engine run this way.