CO-OP and COCKSHUTT

Tractors Featured at Marion Show


| October/November 1988



Co-Op's tractor

1938 Co-Op's #3.

3203 Norton Road Radnor, Ohio 43066

Bob Schwaderer is an avid collector of Co-op and Cockshutt tractors. He came by his interest naturally. His father, Walter Schwaderer, began selling equipment for the Farm Bureau and ended his forty-five year career selling Oliver equipment. Many times he took young Bob with him when he made calls on customers or prospective buyers. Now Bob, owner and operator of Schwaderer Farm Supply, LaRue, Ohio, handles White farm equipment.

Co-op and Cockshutt tractors were featured at the eleventh annual Marion County Steam and Gas Engine Society Show, Marion, Ohio, June 17-19, 1988, at the Marion County Fairgrounds. The Co-op and Cockshutt tractors were exhibited along with an array of other vintage tractors, steam engines, gas engines, antique farm equipment, an impressive antique motorcycle display, a shingle mill and an operating saw mill. There was a tractor pull, slow race, fiddler's contest, the always popular flea market, and much more.

A member of the Marion County Society, Bob exhibited four Co-op and five Cockshutt tractors paired with Cockshutt implements. His wife, Anna May, who collects antique farm wagons, brought along her Cockshutt wagon.

Bob exhibited Co-Op's 1938 #3, 1940 B2, 1945 C, and the 1948 E3 which his father sold originally and Bob bought back for his mother. He showed Cockshutt's 20, 30, 35, 40, and the 50, which is a diesel.

Many years ago farmers saw the wisdom of forming groups called cooperatives to enhance their buying power. The National Farm Machinery Cooperative, Inc., was started in 1940 and was made up of thirteen regional cooperatives. They bought out the Corn Belt Machinery Company of Shelbyville, Indiana, and the Ohio Cultivator Company of Bellevue, Ohio, which was most famous for the Black Hawk corn planter and the Thomas grain drill.