Century of Farm Power Exhibition JANUARY 2000


| September/October 2000



Exhibition

View of the exhibition with the exhibits in place.

Cottage Crosshouse, by Kilmarnock Scotland KA2 OBG

A group of Scottish vintage enthusiasts in January 1999 were lamenting about the poor season they had in 1998. Many events had been either canceled or decimated by a summer with record rainfalls.

A suggestion was made that to celebrate the Millennium an indoor exhibition should be organized. Twenty-three vintage clubs from Scotland and northern England got together and formed the Millennium Farm Power Association. An executive committee of ten people were elected to organize what turned out to be the largest exhibition of its kind ever to be held in the United Kingdom.

The Royal Highland and Agricultural Society of Scotland granted us the use of their exhibition hall which had a total floor space of 6,000 square meters, at a reduced rental. The National Millennium Fund donated $7,500 US to fund the initial costs. The Tractor and Machinery Magazine became a sponsor with advertising and awards for a tractor concours competition. Together with various donations from other sources, this covered our setup costs of over $20,000. It was decided that all the profit would be donated to The Royal Agricultural Scottish Benevolent Institution, a charity which assists country people who have fallen on hard times.

A decision was taken that one tractor of every make and model which had ever worked in Scotland should be invited to attend. One hundred and fifty owners of those machines accepted the invitation to take part, the oldest machine being the 1902 British-built Ivel. Next in line was a 1917 International Mogul. Completing the line was another range of 50 exhibits of threshing machinery, balers and the latest material handlers together with the most modern tractors available. The rest of the floor space was filled with vintage exhibits of all kinds, including an 1897 Murchland milking machine and a 1903 Melvin water engine which operated a church organ in Edinburgh.

The 1902 Ivel owned by John E. Moffitt. Believed to be the oldest tractor in preservation in the UK.