1001 McCambridge, Madison, Illinois 62060
Five years ago some fellows in the vicinity of Greenville, IL. began displaying some of their antique farm machinery at the Bond County Fair held in Greenville (50 miles east of St. Louis, MO.). Each year the display grew as the Fair Board provided a tent and 24 hour guards. The enthusiam was such, that by 1974 the Fair had constructed a 50' x 200' open sided building just for the antique machinery display. During the 1975 show it was decided to organize a club, which was done last November.
1976 show dates were August 21-27. Local machinery dealers donated their trucks to gather the equipment in for the show and return it home. In addition, local service companies donated gasoline for the engines and tractors. Their was a total of 160 gas engines, 50 tractors and 3 steam engines registered.
On Friday, August 20, Leroy Brave, 'spark plug' Dick Debatin and President Mike Evans began hauling in tractors, equipment and engines. Vice-president, John Anthony, was in charge of placing the items on the grounds and in the building. By noon Saturday most items were in place. It would be impossible to name everyone responsible for a smooth running operation, but the Stockamp boys, Mike and Paul, were invaluable as were George Rider, Paul Poeling and others. Dick and Judy Debatin kept everybody 'gassed up.'
A 'roll call' of club members would be almost impossible, but we will mention a few. Ernie Altevogt and Rich Lehn showed up with about 15 engines each. Three generations of McAtees brought a trailer load and 'Red' Stamer had his implement truck loaded with one tractor and several engines, including a 'set' of John Deere's. (There are at least 3 'sets' in our club, but all were not able to be there). Earl Haselhorst had the largest engine at the show, that being an 80 HP Muncie diesel mounted on a semi trailer. Melvin Long, who donated a 50 HP Superior engine to the club also displayed a dozen engines. Charlie Blume was there with his Maytags and Everett Himstedt demonstrated his skills as a blacksmith all week long.
The steam portion of the show was under the direction of Charlie Crouch and Justino Panieri, with Richard Crouch, Kenneth Crouch, John Panieri and Perry Miles assisting. They threshed and baled every day. The wheat was hauled to market in a 1935 Hug Truck.
Some of the rare engines present included: Lister diesel-(Made in England), Ericsson hot air engine, Fuller & Johnson, Stickney, Detroit, Ideal, upright Maytag and Monarch.
Our tractor line-up included Fordson, flat head F-12's and I.H.C.'s, Eagle, Twin City, Best 30, A.C. Graham Bradley, Thieman, Massey Harris, and John Deere's, including both series of spoke flywheel D's, a Wide Tread G.P. and a streamlined AO (orchard model).
Even as items got hauled home, there was buying and trading as though next years' show was just around the corner.