A Part of History Recorded by an Engine Enthusiast


| May/June 1974



4 HP Fuller & Johnson

Bemidji, Minnesota

We thank Harpo Dexter, Editor of The Pioneer Newspaper from Bemidji, Minnesota for permission to reprint the following story and pictures on Jon Selzer, Guthrie, Minnesota 56451.

Left photo- Marvin Schrier of Cumberland, Iowa is preparing to start his New Idea engine. At center, is a nice collection of Russell Moss' of Hamilton, Missouri which includes his 1-3/4 HP Stickney and his CH & E engine. He has a nice collection and always brings some good engines along.  Right photo - some engines and a small model displayed by Larry Raid of Denmark, Iowa. All pictures taken at 1973 Eshelman's Show.

An important phase of the early days of rural Minnesota is being preserved by a young man near Guthrie through his assemblage of many old gasoline engines once used for farm operations in this area.

John Selzer, 22, has brought together over 30 engines dating from 1905 and is in the process of restoring them to operational status. On a level equal to that of restoration, Selzer is compiling historical data on each. Ranging from a 3-4 HP 'Handy-Andy' used on a water pump at the turn of the century to a 7,000 pound, HP International used for a sawmill operation, the engines and the record of their background result from considerable effort by Selzer in doing research, talking with farmers and attending auctions throughout the area.

'It's all part of our history here in northern Minnesota,' said Selzer. 'In fact, there old engines, in the operation of dairy farms and sawmills, have helped make much of our history. These were the sources of power before electricity.'